cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem emailing Picking List for Vault - Please help?

stubs
Level 2
When using Vault within Netbackup, how do you have the "Picking List for Vault" report emailed to you?
Currently, I am receiving the "Picking List for Robot" report, and the "Summary Distribution List for Vault" report ok by email, but I'm more interested in the Robot report.

I have listed the files in the report destination directory, and the robot report does not always appear in there, yet when I run the report from the java GUI, it always produces the correct result, indicating that it is working ok.

I suspect it has something to do with the Eject mode being set to deferred. What's the difference between the Immediate eject & the deferred eject? Surely, the fact that I can run the report from the GUI means it should be able to email me the report?

Also, what's the deal with the Iron Mountain FTP file? We don't use Iron Mountain, but we do use an off-site storage company that will accept an FTP'd file. I would be interested in seeing if I could make use of this. Can anyone advise how I go about setting this up?

Many thanks in advance!
Stuart.
9 REPLIES 9

Stumpr2
Level 6
Picking list for vault is a list of tapes that are supposed to come back on site. Are there any?

stubs
Level 2
Hi Bob,

Yes, there are tapes listed to come back from the off-site storage... If I run the report from the Netbackup Java GUI (Netbackup Managment-->Reports-->Vault Reports-->Media Coming On-site), I get a list of tapes despite not having the report sent via email, or being listed in the specified directory.

Cheers.

Stumpr2
Level 6
What's the difference between the Immediate eject & the deferred eject?

I think there is a warning message that tells you if you choose the deferred eject that some reports will not be available until the actual eject runs. Perhaps this is the answer?

stubs
Level 2
How then would I get the report after the eject has completed? We manually eject the tapes using the option from the vault menu ("vltopmenu" command) at a later time, but the report still doesn't send by email, or arrive in the destination folder.

Again, regardless of when we eject the tapes, provided the vault has completed, we can view the report ok from the GUI... from where does it get this information?

Gerard_Nicol
Level 2
Stuart,

I am not sure if Semantec are enguaging in non-compatitive behavior here?

As you say, just because you use NetBackup does not mean that you automatically want to use Iron Mountain as your off-site provider.

My understanding is that the Iron Mountain File can be FTPed to any destination, and it is not rocket science for your vault to parse it in the IRM format.

Your point is valid though, and I think Semantec should consider making the file a generic XML and calling the file the "Off-site vendor file".

Gerard

Stumpr2
Level 6
If I have to sneeze and blow my nose and happen to ask for a Kleenex, please don't wait until I reask for a "facial tissue". Who cares what they call it?

Gerard_Nicol
Level 2
Bob,

Unlike a Xerox or a Hoover, Iron Mountain is not synonymous with offsite storage.
In fact in many parts of the world Iron Mountain do not even operate.

This not only unfairly promotes Iron Mountain but also gives them an unfair functional advantage in a competitive marketplace.

Symantec should not be favoring any vendor over another as this is arguably illegal in both the EU and USA.

Unless you can show that Iron Mountain is synonymous with offsite storage in the English speaking world your reply apart from being obnoxious is simply wrong.

Gerard

Stumpr2
Level 6
My intent was not to be obnoxious. I apolige.
Bob

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@stubs wrote:
How then would I get the report after the eject has completed? We manually eject the tapes using the option from the vault menu ("vltopmenu" command) at a later time, but the report still doesn't send by email, or arrive in the destination folder.

Perhaps something is misconfigured.

I can run vlteject -report -vault <vaultname> -sessionid <sid#> to generate the reports and re-email them.

Again, regardless of when we eject the tapes, provided the vault has completed, we can view the report ok from the GUI... from where does it get this information?

As long as the session directory still remains (usually /usr/openv/netbackup/vault/sessions/<VAULT>/sid<#>), then it can re-generate the reports.  If that directory is cleaned up, it cannot do so.