Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem while taking Exchange backup

_5
Level 3
Partner
Hi folks

I have noticed this problem when i am doing a postmartum for  exchange server down issue due to transctional log full ,as netbackup not doing the transactional purging.

While taking the exchange database backup I am getting the following error

08/10/2009 21:32:42 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14411) from client <client name>: WRN - unable to successfully enumerate folder: Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\<user name>\

same error getting on the diffrent users , I have checked the user status on the exchange server found user is either disabled or changed the       display name/userid of the user . due to this error the backup getting completing with status code 1 ( partialy complted ) and transaction log purging is not happening as policy is not completing full sucessfully ( status 0)

Netbackup server : Windows 2003
Netbackup version : 6.5.3
Exchange version : Exchange 2007

On Exchange backup other than this no errors reporting .

Can anybody can give me a workaround for the this issue

Thanks
Vimal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It's seems you are taking mailbox-level backup.

Cut of transaction log is not being performed during this operation, Marianne is absolutely correct here.

Regarding the "Status 1" and "unable to successfully enumerate folder" issues, this is considered as normal behaviour of NBU as per this technote (all our customers who do the mailbox-level backups always have status 1 of their backups):

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276763.htm

Otherwise, as a general rule, Status Code 1 on a mailbox backup is quite normal, and there is no reason to be concerned.  

Due to the nature of Exchange mailbox backups, and the use of the MAPI interface, a number of things can be missed, and result in a Status Code 1. Among the causes of a Status Code 1 on mailbox backups, are:
  • An attachment with a URL which either no longer exists, or one which NetBackup cannot open
  • A quarantined attachment
  • Any mail moved/deleted by a user during the backup
  • Any disabled user accounts

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Transaction logs are only purged when the Information Store is backed up, not Mailboxes. See the NetBackup for Exchange Admin Guide how to specify directives for Exchange backups.

Mouse
It's seems you are taking mailbox-level backup.

Cut of transaction log is not being performed during this operation, Marianne is absolutely correct here.

Regarding the "Status 1" and "unable to successfully enumerate folder" issues, this is considered as normal behaviour of NBU as per this technote (all our customers who do the mailbox-level backups always have status 1 of their backups):

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276763.htm

Otherwise, as a general rule, Status Code 1 on a mailbox backup is quite normal, and there is no reason to be concerned.  

Due to the nature of Exchange mailbox backups, and the use of the MAPI interface, a number of things can be missed, and result in a Status Code 1. Among the causes of a Status Code 1 on mailbox backups, are:
  • An attachment with a URL which either no longer exists, or one which NetBackup cannot open
  • A quarantined attachment
  • Any mail moved/deleted by a user during the backup
  • Any disabled user accounts