Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with backup virtual machine when vm convert status consolidate

Tong_Duy_Thanh
Level 4
Partner

My customer have NBU system the following: 

• NBU Master 7.1.0.3
  • VMware Infrastructure EXSi 5 (backup not used VCB) (You can see detail policy in Figure1 in file attached)

Formerly, I backup successful vm. Recently, when I backup vm then I received a error message " Backups fail with Status Code 13 "file read failed".

When I log in in Vcenter then I see a issues report (you can see Figure2 in file attached) " Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed" and then I see  Status "Need consolidation" in ESX host then Status " Need Consolidation" changed YES (Figure3). When it changed "YES" then I backup vm I will received a error message "Status Code 13 "file read failed". 

After,  I did the guide follow of vmware ( http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200363... )

I changed Consolidation to "NO" status. I backup successful vm. But after a short time, Status VM automatic changed "Need Consolidation"  to YES then backup fail again.

How do you know fix it?

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

What does the snapshot manager of the VM show when Consolidation YES. Is there something else other than NetBackup taking a snapshot? Another helper application.

----

I notice your VM Client hardware is detected as vmx-08 hardware

My understanding it is not supported yet on NBU 7.1.0.3

Likewise VMFS-5 as the format of datastores is not supported yet.

7.5 GA has VMware vsphere 5 better support for these features.

Tong_Duy_Thanh
Level 4
Partner

Hi Stuart Green

I don't think so, because If NBU 7.1.0.3 not support for vmx-8 then First time, I don't backup successful vm (vmx-8)  while I still backup successful vm. 

I sure that don't other application taking snapshot.

What is lastest version NBU? Do you know? 

Thanks for your support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

NBU 7.1.0.3 is the latest available you should install on all backup servers, master and media (vmware backup host)

Is it the same VM that has this problem of needing consolidated?

Check the tasks and events tab to see if another application is taking a snapshot. Or before next backup run that there is no snapshots leftover. Snapshot manager should give some indication who or what created any existing snapshots.

Also check you have some free space for the snapshot process to right out its delta files. Normally this is on the datastore of the VM's. And that after a successful backup, snapshots are removed and not left hanging.