cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with pack.summary file not updated

tortoise
Level 2

I think I have a kind of nasty problem here. My intial upgrade attempt from Solaris 6.0 MP5 to 6.5 failed with a 'partially successful'. To make a long story short, some of the 6.5 pieces were not installed. On the advice of a qualified source, 6.5 was re-installed. There were some EMM related problems with version, but everything is fixed and working.

Server A

My problem is that the pack.summary file is not updated. Although I am running 6.5, the last entries in the file are:

NB_60_5_M installed. *NB_CLT_60_5_M
NB_JAV_60_5_M installed. *NB_CLT_60_5_M

Server B
On another master server previously upgraded (cleanly) to 6.5.1, that server's pack.summary file's last two entries are: 
NB_CLT_6.5.1 installed. +NB_6.5.1
NB_6.5.1 installed. *NB_CLT_6.5.1

This would mean that I'm ready to go to a future version that depends on 6.5, whenever that is.

But,with server A, I'm not going to be able to just lay down 6.5.1 patch, am I? I'm not sure how all the pack.summary, pack.history (just looks like a trace, at least to me), and any OS related package tracking inter-relate, but I'm guessing by the "DO NOT EDIT" warning in pack.summary that I can't just update it manually and 'fool' the netbackup installer.

Does anyone have any ideas on this. The server is running okay now, but how do I get to 6.5.1? If I just treid installing 6.5 right on top of my existing 6.5, would it still want to upgreade he EMM database and all that stuff just because pack.summary and pack.history show no evidence of 6.5 ever being installed?

I guess I could try to test this in another environment, but if there are any good ideas here that would save me a lot of time, I would very much appreciate them.

thanks for reading,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tortoise
Level 2

Chris, here is what I get 

bash-3.00# pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup
bash-3.00# file version
version:        ascii text
bash-3.00# cat version
HARDWARE SOLARIS
VERSION NetBackup 6.5
RELEASEDATE Mon Jul 23 16:30:00 CDT 2007
BUILDNUMBER 20070723
bash-3.00#

and

bash-3.00# pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin
bash-3.00# cat version
NetBackup-Solaris10 6.5
bash-3.00#

I feel better now, as my previous advice was obviously wrong. I was hoping they were wrong, and appreciate your reply confirming that I am okay. I'll lay down 6.5.1 tomorrow, should be fine.

Thanks for taking the time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

pack.summary and pack.history only track installation of maintenance packs and release updates, so they wouldn't tell you a thing about upgrading to another GA release.  That's left for /usr/openv/netbackup/version and /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version - what do they say?

The release update installer will look at those version files (and not at what's in /usr/openv/pack) before determining whether or not you can apply 6.5.1 (or 6.5.2A).

Server B is already at 6.5.1.  After you apply 6.5.1 to server A - and I don't think you'll have a problem doing so if you're truly at 6.5GA - you'll see those same lines appended to your pack.summary there.

tortoise
Level 2

Chris, here is what I get 

bash-3.00# pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup
bash-3.00# file version
version:        ascii text
bash-3.00# cat version
HARDWARE SOLARIS
VERSION NetBackup 6.5
RELEASEDATE Mon Jul 23 16:30:00 CDT 2007
BUILDNUMBER 20070723
bash-3.00#

and

bash-3.00# pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin
bash-3.00# cat version
NetBackup-Solaris10 6.5
bash-3.00#

I feel better now, as my previous advice was obviously wrong. I was hoping they were wrong, and appreciate your reply confirming that I am okay. I'll lay down 6.5.1 tomorrow, should be fine.

Thanks for taking the time.