cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking a Poll on 6.5.2 Patch Upgrade issues

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
if you upgraded to 6.5.2 please let us know:

if you had a windows master - did you have problems or did it go ok.

if you had a unix master - did you have problems or did it go ok.
(let us know what flavor of unix).

I am trying to find out if the majority of the 6.5.2 upgrade issues are on windows only, or both windows and unix.

maybe add a short line of the issue - java console, windows console, policies.....
12 REPLIES 12

MWoody
Level 2
We upgraded to 6.5.2 from 6.5.1 and we had major scheduling problems.

Master Server: Solaris 9

At first jobs were showing up in the activity monitor then after a few minutes the jobs stopped appearing. Scheduled, manual and user initiated jobs were not being queued. We had to uninstall 6.5.2 to solve the problem. It would seem that the changes made to the PEM were not fully tested.

Matt

Dion
Level 6
Certified
Upgraded in test successfully - all jobs kept running as usual.

Planning on waiting to upgrade Production - seems a bit too risky with all of the issues experienced by others.

W2K3, NBU6.5.1

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

thanks for the input.

anybody else?

Chris_Babcock
Level 4

Single Master/Media server on Windows 2k3

Having serious problems and going to roll back.  Technical support from 3rd party says Symantec having all kinds of issues with PEM.  Some of our backups did not kick off.  Other kicked off at wrong times.  Other kicked off AGAIN after 6 hours, but a new day AND did NOT run the next new day.

Backups are taking WAY TOO LONG!!!  We are missing our backups windows for daily incrementals (VERY LITTLE DATA!!!) and restores are taking forever.

Proceed with caution!!!!  I should have known when the install messed up and wrecked NetBackup.  We had to rename the netbackup.dll to get 6.5.2 to install.

Chris

IseeClearly
Level 2

Single Master/Media server on Windows 2k3

- Problems with Rights for accessing other Clients

Otherwise its working for us.

Regards.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

AIX Master/media

finished my D.R. site upgrade of the master and ALL clients (windows and AIX)

I had no issues related to the upgrade.

all jobs kicked of ( even the ones I only run once a month).

had 2 failures - one due to shadowcopy but re-run worked ok.  and one because we installed a new server that I did not have in a policy yet.

unix_sysadmin1
Level 3

Upgrade went very easily. I used the LU (LiveUpdate) images on my Apache web server for all the updates. My master and media servers are all Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2. My clients are a blend of Solaris and Red Hat. All the Live Updates ran perfectly.

The only issue so far is that we can't restore from pre-upgrade images. :(

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I really wonder why you had issues.

that was one of the first things I did after the upgrade is to test restores.

If I could not restore I would not have keept the upgrade.

unix_sysadmin1
Level 3
Well, I've downgraded back to 6.5.1 and still can't restore from my old backups. :(

terryd3
Level 4

Just tried to upgrade from 6.5.0 to 6.5.2 today on Linux RHEL4 but failed.  Do you have to install 6.5.1 first?  I have never seen this before.  I have tried installing both the client and the server and both fail the same way.  I have unpacked the tar files from the same directory /tmp.

There are 2 packs available in /tmp:
(* denotes installed pack)

NB_6.5.2
        NB_CLT_6.5.2

Enter pack name (or q) [q]: NB_CLT_6.5.2

Pack NB_CLT_6.5.2 co-requires the following pack level(s) :
         NB_6.5.2.

Install pack NB_CLT_6.5.2 Wed Jul  9 15:18:27 EDT 2008 Rev. 1.6.4.14

Performing install of Linux/RedHat2.6 client binaries locally.
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/openv/pack/NB_CLT_6.5.2/save/VrtsNB_CLT_6.5.2.postuninstall': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/openv/pack/NB_CLT_6.5.2/save/NB_update.uninstall': No such file or directory
Save of NB_update failed
Pack NB_CLT_6.5.2 install incomplete.
------------------------------------------------
Installation of pack NB_CLT_6.5.2 FAILED Wed Jul  9 15:18:27 EDT 2008 Rev. 1.6.4.14.
------------------------------------------------
Exiting NB_update.install

terryd3
Level 4
The original 6.5.2 client tar file NB_CLT_6.5.2_304451.tar did not include the Linux libraries.  The latest one NB_CLT_6.5.2_305647.tar does.  I installed that successfully.

mkv15
Not applicable

Just upgraded last week on Windows 2003 STD:

Issues:

-Catalog backup fail- network read failed(42) and host is unreachable(47). If someone know the fix please post, this is the critical issue that i have to resolved.

-Jobs windows would close- manually deactivate and activate policy appear to solved the issue.

-Upgrade reset all services "LogOn" account back to Local System account.

-NOM will not allow me to logon-Application initialization failed. The database credentials could not be retrieved from the NOM server.

Message Edited by mkv15 on 07-28-2008 10:51 AM
Message Edited by mkv15 on 07-28-2008 11:15 AM