cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protect LUN's from modification?

trueg50
Not applicable

I am working on backing up VM's in VMware with Netbackup 7.1, and one of the requirements is that the LUN's containing the VMware Datastores must be presented to the Media server designated for the VMware backups.I am a bit leery of presenting LUN's created and handled by VMware to a Windows 2008 server, and am worried about accidental modification or corruption of the LUN's.

Does any one have any tips on protecting the LUN's and ensuring the Windows server can only "read" the LUN's?

The Windows server is a server 2008 R2 box.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The obvious one, well documented, is to disable automount in Windows by using the diskpart program or changing corresponding registry entry.

The other one is to disallow users to manage volumes; Perform Volume Maintenance Tasks should not be allowed in local security policy. Changing this may have other consequences for the day-to-day admin though...

/A

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The obvious one, well documented, is to disable automount in Windows by using the diskpart program or changing corresponding registry entry.

The other one is to disallow users to manage volumes; Perform Volume Maintenance Tasks should not be allowed in local security policy. Changing this may have other consequences for the day-to-day admin though...

/A

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I would use Andres suggestion but additional disallow everyone other than the backup group access to the box. If no one can access it, no one would fool around.