Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushed Backups vs scheduled backups

Spud_2
Level 3

NBU 7.6.1.1

Appliances on Suse.

I have been looking for information on "Pushed backups" and seem to only pull up "Pushed client updates."  We have a hanful of servers, appliances of a different kind, that insist on only being able to Push backups to the NBU media server.  Ok, how do I set up the pushing client in order for it to send it's backup to my NBU appliance?  Can seem to figure out the right key words to use to find it in the KB.  Used to be able to do this and all that was required was the login credentials, but can't seem to find any info on it in th e7.6 world.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Sound like user initiated backup. 

user initiated backupa  are schedules from the client using a 3rd part scheduler or cron and uses a "user initiated" schedule in the policy.

Symantec NetBackup 7.6 Commands Reference Guide - look for bpbackup

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6489

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Do  you mean 'user backups' perhaps ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There is no such thing as push or pull backups in Netbackup.

What do you require push backups - you can please explain. Due to firewall ??

Spud_2
Level 3

We have some appliances that are designed to push their backups to a backup server.  We've had it working previously with older versions of netbackup.  The client servers are security appliances.    We have a NBU appliance that is both master and media server.  We have a client appliance that must start it's backup to the NBU appliance.  I don't know what other words to use to describe it.

Spud_2
Level 3

No.  Client server appliances that need to initiate their backup.  It can not be done from a schedule on the NBU appliance.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Sound like user initiated backup. 

user initiated backupa  are schedules from the client using a 3rd part scheduler or cron and uses a "user initiated" schedule in the policy.

Symantec NetBackup 7.6 Commands Reference Guide - look for bpbackup

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6489

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It is indeed called User Backup. You need a User Backup schedule in the Policy with an open window during which the client will be allowed to initiate backups. Use bpbackup command on the client to initiate the backup - manually or in a script.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

a example 

bpbackup -p UFS_AC_SILVER -s ubak -L /tmp/progress.log /tmp

-p Policy in Netbackup

-s Name of schedule - must be "user backup type"

-L Name of progress log

Last qualifyer is the file path to backup

Spud_2
Level 3

Thanks all.