cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on Volume pool

Ravi_Kumar_L
Level 4

Hi,

This is regarding query on volume pool use and its specification.

First, for Netbackup pool, it is defined as default pool incase of volume pool not specificed in the policy. But as my understanding, at the time of policy creation, netbackup will be selected by default and this can be changed to user defined if required. Nothing else than this, if I am right.

Secondly, could you please descript where None and Datastore volume pool will come into picture.

Thirdly, If we expire all the images in the media will move the  tape to scratch pool or is that will remains in the same pool. When I tried, it resides in the same pool, but there are a definitions in web that is  says, once all the images are expired automatically  or by force will move the tape to scratch pool.

The command I tried is ./bpexpdate -m 0735l4 -d 0

Fourth, ./bplabel -erase -l -m <media-id> -d density -o -p poolname -n drivenumber -h media server,             ends with error 98, error requesting media but it works will in GUI. My understanding before erasing allocated media, first we have to expire images and if required, we can deassign it.

Thanks in advancae for all your responses and answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

First, for Netbackup pool, it is defined as default pool incase of volume pool not specificed in the policy. But as my understanding, at the time of policy creation, netbackup will be selected by default and this can be changed to user defined if required. Nothing else than this, if I am right.

the above is correct

Secondly, could you please descript where None and Datastore volume pool will come into picture.

The None pool is for cleaning media.  The Datastore pool is for a Datastore policy type.  A Datastore policy type is used with the SDK so you can create your own automated backup feature in an application.  For example Enterprise vault may use the Datastore policy for migrations to NetBackup.

Thirdly, If we expire all the images in the media will move the tape to scratch pool or is that will remains in the same pool. When I tried, it resides in the same pool, but there are a definitions in web that is says, once all the images are expired automatically or by force will move the tape to scratch pool.

Tapes when expired goes back to where it came from.  So if the tape was in scratch before the backup, and then moved to another volume when the backup grabbed it.  It will go back to scratch when the tape is expired.  However if you manually moved the tape to another pool, let's say NetBackup.  And then NetBackup perform a backup to that tape in NetBackup.  When it expires, it will stay in NetBackup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

the above is correct

The None pool is for cleaning media.  The Datastore pool is for a Datastore policy type.  A Datastore policy type is used with the SDK so you can create your own automated backup feature in an application.  For example Enterprise vault may use the Datastore policy for migrations to NetBackup.

Thirdly, If we expire all the images in the media will move the tape to scratch pool or is that will remains in the same pool. When I tried, it resides in the same pool, but there are a definitions in web that is says, once all the images are expired automatically or by force will move the tape to scratch pool.

Tapes when expired goes back to where it came from.  So if the tape was in scratch before the backup, and then moved to another volume when the backup grabbed it.  It will go back to scratch when the tape is expired.  However if you manually moved the tape to another pool, let's say NetBackup.  And then NetBackup perform a backup to that tape in NetBackup.  When it expires, it will stay in NetBackup.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ravi, in addition to the above excellent post, you may find detailed volume pool info in NetBackup Admin Guide I:

NBU Admin Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650
NBU Admin Guide for Windows, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3653

See 'About volume pools' in Chapter 8 of this manual.

Ravi_Kumar_L
Level 4

Could you please share information regarding forth query. Is it possible to erase a meda directly, if we do not require any data / images which are active and also even the media is assigned.

Regards,

Ravi Kumar L

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you erase a tape it does not clear the information out of the catalog so it should always be expired first using bpexpdate with the -d 0 option.

Your command may have failed due to part of it (most of it) being case sensitive - but you should be able to erase it via the command line easily (dont need to specify the specific drive usually, just the server to perform the erase)

Once erased the data on the tape is no longer recoverable

If expired but not erased the tape will be overwritten by the next backup that runs to it

So in general there is not many cases where an erase would be required.

Hope this helps - make sure to mark the thread as closed by marking a solution once your questions have been answered - this helps others with similar issues in the future

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is it possible to erase a meda directly, if we do not require any data / images which are active and also even the media is assigned.

You can not erase an assigned media - you must unassign it first by expiring the images - 

bpexpdate -m <media id> -d 0   

It is unusual to get the case with a media assigned, but no images - but the above command will work for this also.

In general, there should be no need to 'erase' a media - the 'old' data on the tape will be overwritten once it is reused,

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Martin is correct in relation to the erase - images must have been expired / deassigned first