Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query regarding Oracle backups

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hey guys,

I have a few questions regarding Oracle backups, would appreciate if you all can help me with it ;

1) how to confirm that the backup has been done properly i.e how to verify it like we can check windows based backups from the backup archive and restore interface?

2) If i have a full backup of Oracle 9i database , can i restore it on a oracle 10g database.?

3)how to find out if the tape is full,  any alerts or reports?

Regards,

Majid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

if you're using standalone tape drive it will show pending request in the device monitor.

if you have tape libarary, you have to maintain enough media in the scratch pool, or backup will fail.

NBU is not designed to work with standalone tape drives or manual feed (but it's able to), it's just another kind of software which expects that some clean media is always available. There are number of scripts and NBU tool NOM which you can use to monitor how many tapes in your scratch pool.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mouse
1. Check the output of RMAN script and NBU exit code. If you have Oracle Recovery Catalog, you can check it there. It is not directly linked to NBU
2. Ask your Oracle DBA, NBU does bits and bytes.
3. Please clarify your request. NBU will tell you when it  will need next media.

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited

how will NBU tell me that it will need next media, through some reports or alerts ?

Majid.

Mouse

if you're using standalone tape drive it will show pending request in the device monitor.

if you have tape libarary, you have to maintain enough media in the scratch pool, or backup will fail.

NBU is not designed to work with standalone tape drives or manual feed (but it's able to), it's just another kind of software which expects that some clean media is always available. There are number of scripts and NBU tool NOM which you can use to monitor how many tapes in your scratch pool.

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Thanks .. i got the concept...

Majid.