Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: Here's my current scenario and how would I recover

Michael_Kaish1
Level 4
Okay maybe I wasn't clear in all my previous posts:

Here's the scenario:

Windows 2003 production environment with LTO 3 library that can read 8 chars barcodes. We also have vaulting capabilities.

Test environment is 2003 as well but we have a small library that can only read 6 char barcodes. Now how would I take the vaulted tapes from the production environment and basically do a recovery onto the test environment when the barcode reader is only able to scan 6 chars. Now when I recover the catalog it doesn't match and when I search for the media I need to recover it won't be able to see it because the media is now 6 chars long rather than 8 chars long. So how would I go about recovering the production in the test environment.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion
2 REPLIES 2

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Run a robtest to see what your robot is actually reading from barcode.

e.g. Your actual barcode is WN1234L3
Robot is reading WN1234

And your actual production server had assigned 1234L3 as media ID for the same.

On you DR server Perform following steps -

Go to console of your master server.
Create vm.conf file under \Veritas\Volmgr\ or edit if there is already one
Make sure it is vm.conf not vm.conf.txt
put follwing

MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS 0 6 3:4:5:6:#L:#3

and run vmupdate command from master server. Make sure you do not have any other barcode rule defined for this type of media.

You may not get the desired results if you are performing inventory from Terminal session or using remote JAVA GUI. Make sure you run inventory from master server only.

vm.conf entries necessary when using Windows Administration Console
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275497

NetBackup reads only 6 characters of barcode.Message was edited by:
RK

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Let's say you have installed Netackup from scratch in order to recover. You have hooked you library up to you server and Netbackup can see it. All you want to do is import you tapes that have 8 digits so that Netbackup see's the 6 digits. In the Admin console go to Media and Device Management - Media - right click on the library select updata the selct the advanced tabs to set up Bar Code Rules for the 6 digits you want.

However if it is a New Server Netbackup will not know about it so you will have to import the tape then do the restore from the tape.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/259827
Importing backup images from more than one piece of media from the command line