cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Differential Incremental Backup

inAkola
Level 3

Hi, We have nebtackup 7.5 running and my question is regarding Differential incremental backup for Exchange. Is it possible to recover emails from yesterday if there was Differential Incremental backup? I am trying to recover an email from yesterday but I all see is logs folder. I have GRT enabled. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

from the Symantec NetBackup™ for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator’s Guide

Differential incremental backup

Individual items cannot be restored for this type of backup if
Enable granular recovery is enabled.

To perform a full restore the data that is needed is contained in multiple NetBackup images. One image for the full backup and another image for each differential incremental that was performed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Will_Restore
Level 6

from the Symantec NetBackup™ for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator’s Guide

Differential incremental backup

Individual items cannot be restored for this type of backup if
Enable granular recovery is enabled.

To perform a full restore the data that is needed is contained in multiple NetBackup images. One image for the full backup and another image for each differential incremental that was performed.

Nate_D1
Level 6

You may want to consider looking at cumulatives instead of differentials, if I recall correctly you are able to do GRT restores in the fashion you mentioned.

Will_Restore
Level 6

similar scenario too with Cumulative: 

Cumulative incremental backup

Individual items cannot be restored for this type of backup if Enable granular recovery is enabled.

Consider an Exchange Server data recovery scenario where the transaction logs are all
intact. You only need to restore the database from the last full backup and the last
cumulative incremental backup. During recovery, Exchange Server replays all the logs
that are in the log folder.

( this might result in quicker restore, depending on when the last Full backup was taken )

Nate_D1
Level 6

Ah, thanks for the clarification, that may be what I was thinking of!