Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about backup windows DFS directory

Nicolas_Ge
Level 3

Hi,there-

One of my friends encountered this problem:

When backup a DFS directory,the same tape became FULL in less size.

For example,it's a LTO2 tape,it could backup 300G data on a common directory,but   if you backup the dfs one,it could backup only 200G,and the data he backuped everyday is about 270G.So he used to use one tape but now he should use two!

So is there a special setting for DFS direcory backup policy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You have to backup the DFS under the shadow copy componenets, though if you are still not getting compression then it might be the data that is not getting compressed and it depends on the data if it can be compressed or not. The databse files, already compressed files won't get much compression.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6

You have to backup the DFS under the shadow copy componenets, though if you are still not getting compression then it might be the data that is not getting compressed and it depends on the data if it can be compressed or not. The databse files, already compressed files won't get much compression.

Nicolas_Ge
Level 3

Yes,he's already backup the DFS under the shadow copy componenets.The question he said to me is:

Under the same condition(including the policy setting,tape,server etc.),the same directory if used DFS will use 2 tapes,but before it only needs 1 tape. 

Maybe the DFS directory cann't be compressed,maybe other reasons I don't know.

sksujeet
Level 6

Yes it depends on kind of data also hardware compression has more to do with hardware vendor and nothing much can be done on the nbu side. NBU just sends the data and it is hardware that has to compress it.