cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about primary copy when going disk library -> tape

elanmbx
Level 6

Here's my situation.  I am doing all my nightly backups to an EMC disk library.  In addition, after evening backups, I am running a vault job which selects all *Production* policies to write to tape to be sent offsite.  Then after 30-ish days I have a vault job which writes 30+ day old images from the disk library to tape held locally in our DC.

The problem is that initially my primary copy is the copy located on the disk library.  Then when I run the disk library -> tape job after 30 days the copy which *becomes* the primary copy (for Production policies) is the copy located on the offsite tape.  So when a restore is requested, NetBackup waits for the offsite tape to be loaded into the tape library.

What I'd really like to have happen is to have my primary copy be the onsite tape when the vault is run to move data from the disk library to tape.  Is there any easy way to accomplish this?  Or will I need to grab the list of images each day that has been written from disk library to tape and "manually" make the correct copy the primary copy?

Thanks for any insights!

-Mike-

2 REPLIES 2

elanmbx
Level 6

After more investigation, I found an option under "Advanced configuration" in the Duplication tab in my vault profiles.  I selected each of my media servers and selected the "Change..." button which revealed a "Primary" column which had no check in the checkbox.  I checked this box and will check in the morning to see the effect on the vaulted images.

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

As mentioned by Elanmbx, while vaulting please make use of advance configuration . There you can make the required copy as primary while writing .

Suppose from Disk to tape , if you need to make tape as primary copy then select the check box , that will make the tape copy as primary else by default your disk copy will be primary .