Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on ch00 channel at 03/06/2015 10:50:26

nbuengr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Good day!

Our client is using Netbackup 7.5 and for the database, Oracle version 11.2.0.4.0.

He is experiencing this error.

RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on ch00 channel at 03/06/2015 10:50:26
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library
Additional information: 2

I tried looking for documentation regarding this issue but the links won't open. 

What exactly is the problem and how should I solve it?

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We are not talking about a tape library.

We are talking abount Oracle library-files that determine if backups are made to disk or a third-party backup application. This is called 'sbt_tape' in Oracle.

Please go through the 'linking' section of the manual and work with your Oracle dba.
He/she will know what to do.

NBU for Oracle Admin Guide for UNIX, Windows, and Linux  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3672
Chapter 2 - Linking the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) with NetBackup for UNIX and Linux platforms

Also have a look at my post in this discussion:

NBU7.5 oracle RMAN backup integration prerquisites 

PS:

Please also go through Chapter 1 - Introduction of this manual.

You will see a diagram on page 16 - Figure 1-1 where the interaction is explained.
Under 'NetBackup for Oracle supplies' you will see:
– Veritas I/O Library (libobk)

Also see 'NetBackup for Oracle operation' on page 20.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

nbuengr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Some additional information,

backup is thru lan with other media servers.

Do I need to add some configuration on the server indicating there's no tape library assigned to it? 

Thanks!

Marianne
Level 6

On which OS?

If Unix/Linux, have you followed steps in the manual to link Oracle library to the NBU plugin?

See NBU for Oracle Admin Guide for UNIX, Windows, and Linux  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3672

Look for oracle_link in the manual.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Seems that the problem is that the library is not loaded, on the oracle cllient. Oracle rman backup to "tape" when using Netbackup.

On unix you need to create a symbolic link from to the relevant libobk under Netbackup/bin from the oracle lib folder, is described in the Netbackup admin guide for Oracle

On Windows it is a dll which sometimes requires a reboot after installing the Netbackup client to be loaded properly.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

nbuengr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Michael,

Thank you.

There is no tape library zoned in this.

nbuengr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

Thank you.

There is no tape library zoned in this.

Marianne
Level 6

We are not talking about a tape library.

We are talking abount Oracle library-files that determine if backups are made to disk or a third-party backup application. This is called 'sbt_tape' in Oracle.

Please go through the 'linking' section of the manual and work with your Oracle dba.
He/she will know what to do.

NBU for Oracle Admin Guide for UNIX, Windows, and Linux  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3672
Chapter 2 - Linking the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) with NetBackup for UNIX and Linux platforms

Also have a look at my post in this discussion:

NBU7.5 oracle RMAN backup integration prerquisites 

PS:

Please also go through Chapter 1 - Introduction of this manual.

You will see a diagram on page 16 - Figure 1-1 where the interaction is explained.
Under 'NetBackup for Oracle supplies' you will see:
– Veritas I/O Library (libobk)

Also see 'NetBackup for Oracle operation' on page 20.

nbuengr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you so much!

I understand now.

I just have another question, do I need to shutdown the Oracle instance before manually linking the RMAN to NBU? How do I do it using the ORACLE_SID? Do I need to start it after the process? I read in a technote that I could just restart the Oracle Instance after manually linking the RMAN to NBU? What command should I run to restart it?

Also, can I shutdown/restart it even though it's a hot backup?

Sorry, I'm new to this.

Thank you in advance!

Marianne
Level 6
No need to shutdown Oracle or restart it. Just run the oracle_link script as oracle user. Oracle user profile will include all environment variables, including ORACLE_SID. Please work with your Oracle dba. Don't try to do this on your own. Unless you are a backup admin as well as knowledgeable Oracle dba. PS: Have you gone through the post that I've suggested above? And the manual? If you refer here to TNs that you have found, please provide the link so that we are on 'the same page'.

nbuengr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Our client is already coordinating with their DBA and told me that that will be doing the link.

Thank you for all your help!