cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMAN Backup issues (Netbackup 7)

Craigless
Not applicable

So i am having quite a fair amount of issues on one of my Oracle DB's with RMAN and Netbackup.

Recently there has been quite a fair amount of changes and upgrades to my environment, we were initally running 4 different master server's all using varied levels of NBU. We recently aquired new hardware and did a merge of the 4 environments into 1 and going onto Netbackup 7 using a clustered master server. Secondly the DB in question has also had an upgrade from Oracle 10 to 11g and the media server that it runs on has had the Netbackup software reloaded up to 6.5.5 as we cannot go to 7 due to hardware limitations. Before they upgraded the DB everything was working just fine, the DBA also decided not to use the Recovery Catalogue but the control file.

Now the problem i have been facing for the past two weeks is that the backup will kick off and just sit there saying connecting and never gets to the writing stage, yet the DBA says that it is allocating channels and running from their side, i have done the link using the oracle_link script. The other thing is that the Archive Log backups are taking 15 hours to backup 400GB. On one of my other Oracle DB's we are able to back that amount of data up in close to 10 minutes.

I have fiddled and tweaked and changed and have come to my wits end now with this, please can i get some help?

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you post the logs?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check dbclient log on client as well as bprd log on master.

dbclient will tell you if comms with master is initiated.

bprd will tell you if backup request is received from client and handed off to media server.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You heve never mentioned your platform and Oracle release, so I wonder your setup is valid.

Some of platforms are not supported with NetBackup 6.5.5 and Oracle 11g R2.

If schedule type of the job you told not starting to write is Application Backup, track the debug logs listed below.

* on client

bphdb

dbclients

* on master server

bprd

* on media server

bpbrm

bptm