cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMAN's - the bane of my existence

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

We've had an issue over the past few months where my RMAN's on two servers just hang. These two servers are the busiest Oracle servers we have in our environment. We've talked to Oracle about it, and we've talked to Symantec about it but i'm still seeing the issues, so i'm hoping someone out there has a good suggestion.

The RMAN backups appears to hang while connecting to NBU catalog to perform a query (according to my DBA's) for duplicate files. It just waits for the MML file delete process and never moves beyond it.

My Master server is a W2K3 box with NBU 7.0.1 and the clients are currently at 6.5.6. I will be upgrading the clients this afternoon, but i'm not confident that will resolve my issue.

At this point, I am open to any suggestions....please let me know which log files you would like to look at.

Thanks everyone.

8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6

RMAN is Oracle product and NetBackup role is scheduling (when to run backup) and Media Management (where to put the data).  Rarely have I found NetBackup to be the cause of database backup issue; most of the time it's Oracle configuration.  I think the catalog you refer to above is RMAN and not NetBackup. 

NetBackup dbclient log file might have some helpful information if you care to attach to your post. 

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

I have attached a copy of yesterday's log file. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

When you guys upgrade the client do you re-link?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I have previous seen long query due to issues with the RMAN recover catalog.

Make sue the RMAN catalog is in a fit state - if the rman house cleaning isn't running the indxes get outdated and querys get very very slow.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Hi Dan

Looking at your log RMAN are asking for backups since 95 of Netbackup, more than 15 years of backups will take quite a while to run through.

As the query comes from RMAN, you should probably talk to your DBAs/Oracle about that time span

Also it might help to implement the bpimage -create_image_list for your oracle clients

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Thanks Michael,

I really wasn't sure about that date range....I will get them to take a look at their configs. As for the bpimage, can you clarify what you mean?

Will_Restore
Level 6

has your dba had a chance to sort out the RMAN catalog?

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Nope...they are as stumped as I am. I'm trying to teach myself the RMAN process now to see if I can figure it out.