cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROOTDRIVE folders on existing NBU 6.5 installation

Rolf_Gitt
Level 3
Hello:

I have NetBackup V6.5.2A Master/Media server (same Windows 2003 server). I'm trying to get rid of one SAN-connected data drive (F: drive). Unfortunately, during the original NetBackup install on this server it chose this F: drive to place the following folders:

F:\Map
F:\Messages
F:\Shared

I found this knowledgebase article which describes this behaviour: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293952.htm

Since I want to get rid of the F drive, I first need to move these three folders (and all their content) to the E drive (which is a local disk - not a SAN-connected disk).

As described in the above support article WHY these folders were placed on the F drive originally is due to ROOTDRIVE path choosing the drive with the most free space at the time! GAH! How annoying!

Anyway....I would prefer NOT to uninstall and re-install the entire NetBackup installation on this server just to get rid of these three F drive folders.

Is there any easy way I can:

1) Stop all NBU services
2) Copy these three sets of folders from F: to E:
3) Name the F drive versions of these folders to something else
4) Search the Registry and update any F: references for these specific folder and point them to E: instead
5) Re-start NBU services.

I wish it were this easy.....do you think it is, or do I have to save my catalogs, data, jobs, etc....and uninstall NetBackup, remove the F drive and then re-install NetBackup (F drive won't exist then so I assume this would force ROOTDRIVE to be set to E: instead of F:).

Any ideas/suggestions???

Many thanks for your feedback.

Cheers.

2 REPLIES 2

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner
If you do not have anything else you want to save on your E: I would use veritas volume manager and mirror the F:(san drive) with the disk you wish to have the data on...  this can be done with no down time on netbackup.

Kind Regards
Andreas

Rolf_Gitt
Level 3
Unfortunately, I do have stuff on E drive (e.g. some installed apps) that I can't overwrite, so this doesn't sound like an option at this point.

But that's an interesting suggestion - I checked the Symantec site and it seems that Volume Manager was only supported under Windows 2000 - and that product is now discontinued by Symantec...I'm running Windows 2003 server...not sure if there's some equivalent poduct with a different name?

But thank you for the suggestion Andreas! It is appreciated.