cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re using Expired Media - how to do a report

LeeClayton
Level 5

Our weekly backups have an expiration date of 1 year, these go offsite each week. I need a way to produce a monthly report to list all those tapes that have now expired and can be re-used. Of course, as little manual intervention as possible is required.
I've tried bpmedialist -summary -M master server

this lists all the tapes and when they expired but I just want to list those that are expired. Also, ideally I want to avoid listing any tapes in our libraries as there will be tapes in there that are also expired but i don't need to know about those.

any ideas?

by the way, not using vault

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
your requirement is to get he list the tapes every month  that are expired, so that they can be reused
under NetBackup administration console> media and device management> media>volume pools><volume pool name>
in that volume pool you will see certain tapes without time assgined, those are the expired tapes.

why is that so? how can u tell that those are expired tapes? 
when u you assign a tape to a specifc volume pool; that moment netbackup uses that media for backup, it will marked as used by tagging with time, this time tag will be cleared only when the images on the media is expired.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
your requirement is to get he list the tapes every month  that are expired, so that they can be reused
under NetBackup administration console> media and device management> media>volume pools><volume pool name>
in that volume pool you will see certain tapes without time assgined, those are the expired tapes.

why is that so? how can u tell that those are expired tapes? 
when u you assign a tape to a specifc volume pool; that moment netbackup uses that media for backup, it will marked as used by tagging with time, this time tag will be cleared only when the images on the media is expired.

LeeClayton
Level 5
Thanks for that, could I get the same results from a script, maybe that searches for all tapes that do not have "time assigned"? or similar

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
/opt/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media

Which you could then 'filter' for whatever you require.
e.g. to look for scratch you could search in the output for the string 'AVAILABLE'

# /opt/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media|grep AVAILABLE|more
CLN130 HC3_CLN TLD 1 116 - - - AVAILABLE
300052  HCART3     NONE - - - - - AVAILABLE
300057  HCART3     TLD 1 59 - - - AVAILABLE
300058  HCART3     NONE - - - - - AVAILABLE
300062  HCART3      TLD 1 108 - - - AVAILABLE
300064  HCART3      NONE - - - - - AVAILABLE
300071  HCART3     TLD 1 114 - - - AVAILABLE
......etc

LeeClayton
Level 5
Cheers,

I can run (windows)

available_media | find /I "available" | find /I "NONE"

this will find all the scratch media NOT in the tape library (TLD)

thanks guys.