Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rearing best backup approach

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified

Hi All ,

In my backup enviorment we have to configured the one file server which is having size of approx 5 TB , as this server is a  Virtual server its not possible for me to make this server as a media server , now I have only two option either I used the V-storage backup or used the Flash backup of the particular drive for taking that much of backup .

Kindly suggest which one is the best approach as on both scenario my maximum backup through put is around 30000 kb/sec .

NBU 7.0.1 ..running on Windows 2008 (Master Server )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You should be able to get a better rate than 30mb/s using flashbackup and vSphere so i am guessing that your issue is either network related or backup destination device related.

What are you backing up to? (tape / disk / de-dupe)

What is the network?

If the limit is the backup device then there is little you can do, if it is network related and the 5TB of data is all in vmdk's on the SAN then vSphere via fibre would be the way to go.

If you have the de-dupe (or could get de-dupe in) then the accelerator would be another good option here so that the network issue is eliminated

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

does this file servers has  RDMs attached, if not, i would prefer to go with VADP using the  SAN .. where you can zone the data stores to backup servers and get the backup over the SAN,  

if RDMs are attached to the VM host , you can not do this..

please have a look in Overview part of Netbackup Vmware admin guide.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5162

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You should be able to get a better rate than 30mb/s using flashbackup and vSphere so i am guessing that your issue is either network related or backup destination device related.

What are you backing up to? (tape / disk / de-dupe)

What is the network?

If the limit is the backup device then there is little you can do, if it is network related and the 5TB of data is all in vmdk's on the SAN then vSphere via fibre would be the way to go.

If you have the de-dupe (or could get de-dupe in) then the accelerator would be another good option here so that the network issue is eliminated

Hope this helps