cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding NDMP

Rohit_Singh_Nay
Level 4
HI All,

I am not aware of the terminology of NDMP.

In our environment there is problem occurred in our dedicated tape drive which takes the backup of one of our NAS box.

Please let me know if we can take the NAS box backup through a shared tape drive also.

As I was informed by one of our experience guy that you have to use a dedicated tape drive for the NAS box backup ..Is that statement is true ???

Netbackup version 6.5.1

Windows server 2003

Regards,

Rohit
3 REPLIES 3

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
& indeed that's how we've still got ours set up.

However, if you look in the NDMP Admin Guide it confirms that you can configure Netbackup to make backups to Media Manager storage units.

"...
Using remote NDMP, you can back up NDMP data to a configured drive in a Media Manager storage unit on a NetBackup media server. The drive can be used for both NDMP backups and for non-NDMP backups.
..."

Basically point the NDMP policy to a Media Manager configured storage unit. Not sure how much of a performance hit you're likely to get tho'.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
It's no problem to SSO tapedrives between NDMP devices and Netbackup, but restore do not take into account what drives are SSO with the NDMP device and not. Therefore you must SSO all tape drives on a specific media server in order to avoid the restore selecting the wrong tape device.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Just for info, we have 4 drives in our library - 1 dedicated NDMP, 1 dedicated MM and 2 SSO'd between NDMP & MM hosts.