cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Problem

zeekstern
Level 3

We are running NB 7.1 on a Solaris 10 server.

I am attempting to restore from a full backup that spans 3 tapes for one Solaris server. The directory/partition I want to restore is about 800gb in size. The 3 tapes are in the tape library and we have 2 tape drives. When I select the root / directory I can see everything just fine. I can see all other directories just fine. When I select the directory I want to restore from the Admin Console just hangs. I let it sit there for maybe 30 minutes and then I have to stop all NB processes gracefully then use the bp.kill_all to kill the Java Admin console.

1. I am wondering if I should just let the Console run for an hour or so? Does it take that long for the "Contents of the Selected Directory" to show up?

2. Is there anyway of me being able to tell if NB is really doing anything or is it just really hung?

I do not see any error messages in the terminal window.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Are you using the Java Console?  If no, please ignore this post.

If so, try to bring up the selections to restore again and when it seems to hang, check the text window that opens just before the GUI pops up.  Look for any messages pertaining to it adding additional memory, etc.  We've had previous problems in 6.5.x when trying to browse large directories spanning multiple months, in which the Java GUI is running out of memory while trying to populate the restore list.  There are settings in the batch file that starts the Java GUI that can be tweaked to help alleviate the memory issue.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

You will need to look at the logs to get a better idea of what your issue may be. I would suggest bpbrm logs from the media server that is attached to the tape drive, as well as the bptm logs from the master.

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Should have posted this link as well.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO70806

It has info on the general logging and how to create them if they arnt already.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have a utility like 'top' on your master to check memory and cpu utilization?

I am suspecting bpdbm using lots of memory...

Monitor processes on master and just wait.....

zeekstern
Level 3

Thanks for the link and info Miles.

I did check the logs and do not see anything pertaining to the restore. I will try again tomorrow. My backups have kicked in so I can't try anything further until tomorrow.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Are you using the Java Console?  If no, please ignore this post.

If so, try to bring up the selections to restore again and when it seems to hang, check the text window that opens just before the GUI pops up.  Look for any messages pertaining to it adding additional memory, etc.  We've had previous problems in 6.5.x when trying to browse large directories spanning multiple months, in which the Java GUI is running out of memory while trying to populate the restore list.  There are settings in the batch file that starts the Java GUI that can be tweaked to help alleviate the memory issue.

zeekstern
Level 3

Thanks Ron!! I was not aware of that. I have been playing around with it and it sure makes a screaming difference on the Java Console. But, I have over 200,000 files in one directory and Solaris even pukes when doing a ls  :))

I will have to do some script writing to change the way we use that dir.

Thanks again for the memory tweak!!