Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from disk with different signature

Nir1
Level 3

Hello,

My environment is NetBackup 7.6

I'm using backup to disk as main backup for part of my datacenters .

I'm using media server based on Linux conected to the storage , the volume for backup to disk is mounted and everything is working fine.

I'm working with HDS storage in my production site and I'm replicating (Dedup) to my HDS storage in the Recovery site (DR) on  layer 2

My question for you the experts is :

In case of disk /tray /storage failure in my main site (production) and let's assume that that's the only problem that I have, will it be possible to restore from disk that hold the replicated data that I need BUT have a different signature ???

* Let's assume that I'm replicating the data from the DR site to my main site ( in the opposite way) on the storage level with my storage tools - now I have data on my storage in the production site but on a disk with a different signature cause of the faiure, and the new disk is well mounted to my media server.

Is it still possible to restore the data with NetBackup ?

If yes , it will be nice to get an official link describing that procedure,

Thanks in advanced,

Nir.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'm not sure if that is entirely supported but I suppose if you make sure that the MSDP is shutdown when you replicate/sync then it might be ok. You'll need to make sure that you've got the /database /storage replicated.

The safer bet would be to duplicate / replicate prod or dr via netbackup.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

NBU has no issue with disk signatures.

It writes backups to a path on a Media Server that is defined in the Storage Unit and assigns a 'media id' to it when it first starts to use it (e.g. @aaaab)

During a restore, it will look for @aaaab on the Media server at the path that is defined in the STU.

So, same path on the same media server is all that is needed for restore.

Nir1
Level 3

Thank you Marianne,

I understood your response, please let me take it a step forward,

Let's assume that now I want to restore from my copy disk ( the replicated volume in the storage)  in the DR site with another media server that is located in the DR site and  is connected to my NetBackup server (the management ) over the LAN, is it just the same way to scan the media server for volumes?

Is it possible?

Thanks in advanced,

Nir.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello,

What diskpool are you writing to? Is it MSDP or Adv Disk?

Nir1
Level 3

Hello Riaan,

It's MSDP.

RiaanBadenhorst

I'm not sure if that is entirely supported but I suppose if you make sure that the MSDP is shutdown when you replicate/sync then it might be ok. You'll need to make sure that you've got the /database /storage replicated.

The safer bet would be to duplicate / replicate prod or dr via netbackup.

Nir1
Level 3

Hello Riaan,

Thanks for your reply,

So if I understand it correctly, if I will locate a server in my DR site and I will boot from SAN to take the OS of the media server in my production  site (that was replicated on a daily basis) and I will mount the storage volume as it has was mounted in the production media server (same path same name), than I will be able to restore but this solution is not supported?

Thanks in advanced,

Nir.

RiaanBadenhorst

I'll rephrase that as I'm not from support, i would say, its not common practice so i would make sure it works before a disaster occurs. And also run the process by support so they can say if its in order.

Nir1
Level 3

Thank you Riann and Marianne