cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore is done from the same media server from which the backup ran.

Andy2345
Level 6

Is this true in NBU 7.x?

Above is true till what version of NBU?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

But we have 7.1 in our environment.But backup runs on other media server and restore is done frm other media server?

PLEASE always share ALL relevant details when you open a post. Such as the fact that you are using Data Domain with OST backups.

OST Restore behaviour is described in this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87200

Fixed by creating this touch-file on the master:
touch /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/USE_BACKUP_MEDIA_SERVER_FOR_RESTORE

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
By default yes, why would you think it would be anything else. There are two ways i can think of that will change this - I will let you do some research to find out what they are, I will however give you some clues. One way would affect all restores done by a media server and cause all of the restores to by 'run' by one other media server. This setting would be made in the bp.conf file, but can also be ser in the GUI. The other way changes the media server entry for the fragment in the header file (image catalog). It can be made by running a command, and one of the 'options' you pass to this command is -oldserver. Martin

Andy2345
Level 6

So below statement is true for all NBU versions?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I am not sure why when I give the answer, you ask the same question again... Yes

Andy2345
Level 6

But we have 7.1 in our environment.But backup runs on other media server and restore is done frm other media server?

Why so?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

probably because you have a force_restore_media_server setting in bp.conf on the master (or registry if windows). 

if you did as i suggested and looked at the reasons nbu would not behave as default you would find this out for yourself.

Martin

Andy2345
Level 6

-bash-3.2$ cat bp.conf|grep -i force
-bash-3.2$ pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup

We dont have any such entry in bp.conf .

But restore runs from different media server from which the backup ran.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PLEASE always share ALL relevant details when you open a post. Such as the fact that you are using Data Domain with OST backups.

OST Restore behaviour is described in this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87200

Fixed by creating this touch-file on the master:
touch /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/USE_BACKUP_MEDIA_SERVER_FOR_RESTORE

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am using OST and my STU is any available media server, in these cases backup can go to any media server and so as the restore. If restore is working fine your job is done, don't make any changes which might corrupt the environment.

Andy2345
Level 6

Thanks ALL.