cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore keeps running for imported images

DPO
Level 6
We had an nfs share which was mounted to /mnt ( /mnt/logs/server)on one of the Linux machines. This machine was backed up using Netbackup environment 7.7.2 wth follow nfs option and was successful. This is decommissioned now. For a restore request we brought up the tapes and imported them to new environment which is running 8.1. Import is successful and can see backup id and invidual files. But while trying to restore few files to an alternative server Restore jobs remaining in active state , keeps always running ( can see bytes being transferred in activity monitor) but the destination directory is empty. It never finished and kept on running . Not sure where these files are going and we doubt whether restore is actually happening or not . Any help on this is much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

sclind
   VIP   

My experience on a restore is that the Kilobytes shown in the Activity Monitor is the bytes read from the tape, not the bytes written for the restore.

We multiplex all our backups so our restores involve 'skipping over' a lot of data not related to the restore.

We often see restores in which the "Kilobytes" column in the AM is *way* more than the data we asked to restore.

Yes I waited for 6 hours but the restore was still running. I was trying to restore 30mb file

sclind
   VIP   
How much else is in that tape besides your file? Are there other backups multiplexed?

Have you canceled the restore or let it run? I would let it run.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The only way to troubleshoot is to follow the restore process through logs:
bprd on master to verify initial setup. Restart NBU after creating folder.
bpbrm and bptm on media server to follow comms and data flow. Level 3 will be good.
tar on the client to confirm receive and write process. Level 3.

If you need assistance with logs, please copy to .txt (e.g. bprd.txt) and upload here.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please show the activity monitor text - copy text and attach as a text file

What is your fragment size on tape ?