cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Emails from tape after implementing de-duplication

amy_poliquin
Level 3

We are unable to restore emails from tape in Netbackup 7.0.1 after implementing de-duplication.  We can restore from disk.  The emails we are trying to restore are from a backup in April 2011.  The expiration date on the tape is set for 4/22/12.  Can someone go over the steps for restoring emails so we can see where we are going wrong?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How was backup done? Using GRT to disk and then duplicated to tape?

Granular restore can ONLY be done from disk. The reason for this is that the disk backup needs to presented to the Exchange server via NFS share to enable browsing and restoring of individual items.

You will need to duplicate tape copy back to disk.

amy_poliquin
Level 3

The backup was directly to tape.  We did not have de-duplication at that time.  I'm not sure about GRT.

amy_poliquin
Level 3

The exchange backup policy in Netbackup shows VSS snaphot.  Enable granular recovery is not checked.

Marianne
Level 6

What is specified in Backup Selection?

What is your Exchange version?

If you have backed up Information Store to tape, you will have to restore to a Recovery Storage Group.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

seeing at your query seems data is expired from netbackup as per retention. But if tape was not erased, then might be luck is still with you. You can perform image import process to re-catalog that media which holds backup.

I presume you are confusing us with term email restoration from tape (this makes us thinking you have GRT enabled backups in place , and which are unsupported with tape till far)

go through below technote for step by step 2 phase procedure of importing tape backups

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

Let us know if this helped you most

Marianne
Level 6

I think the OP has lost interest.... It is almost 3 months since the last post....

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

may beour presumptions are correct.. or may be he didn't noticed notification update in his post