cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Files from one Client to new Client/ (Backup to a new client).

Julius_Jiap
Not applicable
Please can anyone help!

I have problems trying to restore files from a netbackup client to another netbackup client. Both clients are windows 2000 servers (SP 4). This is my first time to try to implement this concept of restoring files from a client to another client.

Below is the list of steps I have taken when restoring.
Source client.
1: selected the file to restore using netbackup restore marked files
2: selected restore everything to a different location (maintaining existing
structure)
3: In the Destination field. (removed the drive. eg F:\) and only had the folder.
4: Browse through and selected the client and shared folder as the destination
client.
5: Launched the restore and it came up with the following errors.

10:01:38 20/06/2006: Restore Started

10:01:43 (175233.xxx) Restore job id 175233 will require 1 image.
10:01:43 (175233.xxx) Media id FU109W is needed for the restore.

10:02:18 (175233.001) Restoring from image created 17/06/2006 09:01:07 AM
10:02:19 (175233.001) INF - Waiting for mount of media id FU109W on server bbkwh01.
10:02:22 (175233.001) INF - TAR STARTED
10:02:56 (175233.001) INF - Waiting for positioning of media id FU109W on server bbkwh01.
10:03:07 (175233.001) INF - Beginning restore from server bbkwh01 to client bfpwh01.
10:03:17 (175233.001) TAR - F:\Users\koembp\My Documents\Humans a hostile host to bird flu - World - smh_com_au_files\
10:03:17 (175233.001) MNR - The file was renamed to the following:
10:03:17 (175233.001) UTF - \\Bfpwh02\Jules\
10:03:17 (175233.001) WRN - can't create directory: \\Bfpwh02\Jules (WIN32 5: Unknown error)
10:03:17 (175233.001) TAR - F:\Users\koembp\My Documents\Humans a hostile host to bird flu - World - smh_com_au_files\90voguecrest.jpg
10:03:17 (175233.001) UTF - \\Bfpwh02\Jules\90voguecrest.jpg
10:03:17 (175233.001) WRN - can't create file: \\Bfpwh02\Jules\90voguecrest.jpg (WIN32 5: Unknown error)
10:03:17 (175233.001) TAR - F:\Users\koembp\My Documents\Humans a hostile host to bird flu - World - smh_com_au_files\adSwap.js
10:03:17 (175233.001) UTF - \\Bfpwh02\Jules\adSwap.js
10:03:17 (175233.001) WRN - can't create file: \\Bfpwh02\Jules\adSwap.js (WIN32 5: Unknown error)

Can anyone help and shed some light into this problem.
Have I done anything wrong here?
Has anyone successfully restored files a client to another client?
Better still, has anyone backup a file from a client to disk on another client? I notice that mapped drives does not seem work with netbackup backup or restore.

Looking forward to hear your view.
13 REPLIES 13

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Julius,

There're a number of methods but since the client that was backed up (e.g. ClientA) is still running and you're trying to store the restored file onto another server's folder (e.g. ClientB), you can first share the folder (with Write permission)from ClientB and map it on ClientA and perform restore onto this mapped drive.

Other methods are using touch file (e.g. No.Restrictions, etc) to allow all client or single client to perform a redirected restore. Just seach the System Admin Guide with the key work "redirected restore" and you'll find the details.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hello everyone

Well i do completely agree with Chia about the differrent nature and characterstics of restore you can go for, but here i believe its a problem with the privilege, Julius could you please tell us about the id or login yu are using to start of the netbackup services and is that a admin account

A) please do start the netbackup client service using an admin account and
B) do check wether the login account has the privilege on the mapped drives.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hello everyone

Well i do completely agree with Chia about the differrent nature and characterstics of restore you can go for, but here i believe its a problem with the privilege, Julius could you please tell us about the id or login yu are using to start of the netbackup services and is that a admin account

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hello everyone

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hello everyone

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Stumpr2
Level 6
\\Bfpwh02\Jules ????

Do you have a drive named Jules?

zippy
Level 6
ha maybe it has the bird flu...

Humans a hostile host to bird flu - World - smh_com_au_files :)

JD

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
probably a shared folder, i guess ???

Stumpr2
Level 6
Have you been able to do a backup of the new client AND a restore of the new client's backup image?

AKopel
Level 6
Julius,
You cannot redirect restores from the CLIENT boxes to different machines. This must be performed on the MASTER server only. Then you have the option to restore to a different client.

This is by design as it would be a security risk to allow clients to restore to other machines.

Here is the blurb from the Admin Guide:

To Redirect a Restore to a Different Client:
NOTE: This option is active only for administrators on a NetBackup master server.

On the File menu, click Select Files and Folders to Restore and then select the type of restore you want to perform.
Select File > Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type, then do the following in the Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type Dialog:
Select the server that backed up the files you want to restore. This lets you browse the desired backups.
Select the client whose files you are redirecting.
Select the policy type for that client.
Select the client to which you are going to restore the files.

Click OK.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Its a classic problem of not specifying the client destination drive, netbackup is taking JULES as a drive name and trying to create a folder inside it.

Well do run the restore with the correct destination path specifying the drive and then the folder under it.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Its a classic problem of not specifying the client destination drive, netbackup is taking JULES as a drive name and trying to create a folder inside it.

Well do run the restore with the correct destination path specifying the drive and then the folder under it.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Stumpr2
Level 6
Julius,
Did you understand my previous post?

\\Bfpwh02\Jules ????

Do you have a drive named Jules?

-----
Ankur explained it. Do you understand?