cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client server handshake failed ( status code 26 )

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Guys
I have this windows 2000 client and while trying to backup the box its comming out witn an error CLIENT SERVER HANDSHAKE FAILED, with the media server in use. But if i fire the same policy on a diferrent media server the backup completes successfully.

The client has the media server entry in the server tab.

Status code is client serevr handshake issue.

Looking forward to all your suggesstions and help in these regards.

Ola
Ankur Kumar
5 REPLIES 5

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Seems like you have a firewall issue. Check to see that the media server you are trying to use is in the same network as the client and no firewall. If not, you need to open up the ports on the firewall. Veritas recommends using VNETD in this situation and the port number is 13724. You need also to change the settings in the master server host properties-clients attributes-connection options. Click add and type in the client name. Under BPCD connect back change to VNETD port. Leave the rest to default. You need to restart the sevices on the master server and try your backup.

Stumpr2
Level 6
good advise

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Guys,
Its something to do with the DNS entries, on the client when we are trying to resolve the name of the media server in question its showing a differrent output but when on some other client and on the respective media the name output is diff.

I think we need to check out the DNS for the client and add the name of the media sever in the client host file as its showing up on the media server and on the other clients, may be this is will resolve the issue.

Looking forward to all your valuable suggesstions in thee regard.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
If DNS is the problem you can go the hosts file route. This will in the meantime get you backups while you resolve the DNS issue. Also confirm the name of the media server in Netbackup. Just create a new policy for the media server and then go to Master server Host properties - clients. Double click on the name of you media server - Client name. The name listed here is what netbackup is using.

Stumpr2
Level 6
It is best to fix DNS and then rely on DNS if it is reliable in your environment. I suggest only using local hosts files if it is necessary to get the job done. Sometimes this is the case. If so, then I go ahead and use the local hosts but I also place a ticket to the administrators of DNS to fix the problems or at least to leave a paper trail that a problem existed.