Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from alternate location

BTLOMS
Level 5

NBU 7.1.03

Backups were done in Location 2

Tapes have been moved to Location 1

If i load the tape in the robot in Location 1, inventory the robot, and start a restore, will the job look for the tape in its original location that is Location 2 or will it take the tape from its current location that is Location 1 ?

4 REPLIES 4

BTLOMS
Level 5

As i understand it - load the tape in Location 1, inventory. Once this is done, the master should now be aware that the tape is in L1 and do the restore from there and everything should be fine. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is Location 1 and 2 associated in same or different NBU domain? (Same or different master server?)

If we assume all is under the same master server, does the media server in Location 2 that performed the backup have access to robot in Location 1?
The reason for my question is that the media and backup images are 'owned' by the media server that wrote the backup.
Restore request will be sent to media server that wrote the backup. So, if media server does not have access to robot in Location 1, a 'pending request' will probably be generated for the tape to be moved to Location 2 robot.

If you want another media server in Location 1 to perform the restore, you have 2 choices:

1. Either force all restores for Media server 2 to Media server 1:
    Use Host Properties on Master, General Server -> Media Host Override
  2. or transfer ownership of tape(s) to Media server 1.
    bpmedia  -movedb -m <media_id> -newserver <hostname>  -oldserver <hostname>

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Logically move media(change media owner) using "bpmedia -m media_id -newserver new_media_server".

BTLOMS
Level 5

Is Location 1 and 2 associated in same or different NBU domain? (Same or different master server?)

> Same Master

If we assume all is under the same master server, does the media server in Location 2 that performed the backup have access to robot in Location 1?

> Nope

The reason for my question is that the media and backup images are 'owned' by the media server that wrote the backup.
Restore request will be sent to media server that wrote the backup. So, if media server does not have access to robot in Location 1, a 'pending request' will probably be generated for the tape to be moved to Location 2 robot.

If you want another media server in Location 1 to perform the restore, you have 2 choices:

1. Either force all restores for Media server 2 to Media server 1:
    Use Host Properties on Master, General Server -> Media Host Override
  2. or transfer ownership of tape(s) to Media server 1.
    bpmedia  -movedb -m <media_id> -newserver <hostname>  -oldserver <hostname>

> I think option2 is best in this case

will try and update