cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring ESX server backups using NetBackup

DPO
Level 6

Is it possible to configure the ESX server backups like a normal linux filesystem backups using NetBackup ?

If we install Linux RPM , does that work ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NO way with NetBackup.
And if I remeber right, VMware does not allow users to install independent software in it - especially in ESXi, so no way with other software.

Only way if can think is ..., boot machine with some Linux Live CD, and read and transer disk contents to network storage. I can not recommend others such crude way.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

This was once supported with former version of ESX and NetBackup, but for now no longer supported.

DPO
Level 6

Thanks for the reply. What if my ESX server stops working ? We want to be in a position to restore esx servers if a disaster happens. Any other ways to do this ? We are using ESX 4i 

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

NO way with NetBackup.
And if I remeber right, VMware does not allow users to install independent software in it - especially in ESXi, so no way with other software.

Only way if can think is ..., boot machine with some Linux Live CD, and read and transer disk contents to network storage. I can not recommend others such crude way.