cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring to Mapped drive on Master Server

jshoker
Level 3

I have a NAS box I am trying to restore data to. The NAS is setup as a workgroup with a local account. I have mapped a drive on the Netbackup (5.1) Windows Server with via an adminstrative account on the NAS and I can successfully create and delete folders on the share. I have used the NB client do the restore from the master server. I have the source client of the original backup and the destination client as the NB Server. I tell the NB restore to restore to a different locatoin (the Mapped Drive) and it starts to go but it gives errors:

WRN -can't create file: Y:\directory\filename (WIN32 3: The system cannot find the path specified. )

What does this mean?

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Your logon on the server may be able to see the mapped drive letter to the NAS box, but the "NetBackup Client Service" that fires off "tar" to perform the restore cannot see the drive letter because it is almost private to your logon.

I'm not a Windows Admin, but I wouldn't use the master server for this.  IMHO I'd find another quiet non-producton server to act as the NetBackup client for the restore.  I say this because I think you'll need to do some reboots...  One way I've accomplished this before was to create a Windows scheduled-task to run at startup on the client that maps the drive.  Set the scheduled task to run at boot time, and the scheduled task basically ran a five line DOS batch script that never completed:

@echo off

sleep 300          (get a copy of sleep from the Windows resource kit)

net use .....       (map the drive as necessary)

pause

exit /b

...the sleep is o give the server enough time to boot up, get it's NIC in order and settle down. 

...now the trick is to use the "pause" command so that the job never completes.

...and the reason for choosing another server is - WIndos being Windows - sometimes you have to reboot to force the mapping to re-form.

Like I said, I'm no Windows Admin, and I did the above years ago, so maybe there's a better way these days to achieve a "permanent" mapping that survives reboots.  Anyone else got a solution?

jshoker
Level 3
How do I get the Netbackup Client Service to see the mapped drives? Has anybody ever tried restoring to a mapped drive?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
If you map the drive at boot time, then all processes can see it.  The scheduled task will have to run as NT Local System Authority, so you'll need the local admin password.

jshoker
Level 3

I figured it out. I did it differently. I had the Netbackup Client Service logon with the local user account that I created (added it to the Locad Admin Group as well) that had the same user name and password as the account on the NAS box. I then used the full UNC path name in the file selections in the Policy. The backup worked as well as a restore.

Thanks for you input.