cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention for normal copy and duplication copy

siri416
Level 4

Hi All,

We have configured SLP's in our environment .. The expiration date in the bpimagelist command shows as INFINITY ...what does this mean ?

I heard like after duplication job finishes,then expiration date shows as what we configured in SLP ..is that correct ?

and the output of bpimagelist clientname  -U shows the details of primary copy or duplicate copy ?

Please clarify my doubt ..

Thank you..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

We have configured SLP's in our environment .. The expiration date in the bpimagelist command shows as INFINITY ...what does this mean ?

I heard like after duplication job finishes,then expiration date shows as what we configured in SLP ..is that correct 

100% correct

bpimagelist clientname  -U  - primary I think ...

bpimagelist is NOT the command to use for looking at SLP stuff, which is whatt I suspect you are using it for.

These are the commands you need for SLP ...

nbstlutil list >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_list.txt
nbstlutil list -U >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_list_U.txt
nbstlutil stlilist >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_stlilist.txt
nbstlutil stlilist -U >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_stlilist_U.txt
nbstlutil stlilist -image_incomplete >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_stlilist_incomplete.txt
nbstlutil list -image_incomplete  >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_list_incomplete.txt
nbstl -l >/tmp/symantec/nbstl_l.txt
nbstl -L >/tmp/symantec/nbstl_L.txt

Martin

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I heard like after duplication job finishes,then expiration date shows as what we configured in SLP ..is that correct 

100% correct

bpimagelist clientname  -U  - primary I think ...

bpimagelist is NOT the command to use for looking at SLP stuff, which is whatt I suspect you are using it for.

These are the commands you need for SLP ...

nbstlutil list >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_list.txt
nbstlutil list -U >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_list_U.txt
nbstlutil stlilist >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_stlilist.txt
nbstlutil stlilist -U >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_stlilist_U.txt
nbstlutil stlilist -image_incomplete >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_stlilist_incomplete.txt
nbstlutil list -image_incomplete  >/tmp/symantec/nbstlutil_list_incomplete.txt
nbstl -l >/tmp/symantec/nbstl_l.txt
nbstl -L >/tmp/symantec/nbstl_L.txt

Martin

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Infinity mean "for ever". In netbackup eyes that is in year 2038.

Each backup image that is part of a SLP will have set the retention to infinity until it has been processed by the SLP. Then the original backup retention is set.

bpimagelist properly show the retention of the primary copy (I am a little unsure here). Each copy can have different life times.

You find the Netbackup SLP pratices a very noce document:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75047

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. Because SLP guarantees duplication, the backup copy is initially assigned INFINITINY until duplicate is successful. Only then will original image get it's real retention.

All of this should be explained in SLP chapter of Admin Guide 1  - chapter 14.

NBU Admin Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650
NBU Admin Guide for Windows, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3653

See this topic: About ensuring successful copies using lifecycles

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I am trying to get a SLP to duplicate to check if it really is the primary copy - but it is failling ...

ha ha ha ... maybe I need to log a call ....

M

siri416
Level 4

Thank you Martin,Nicolai and Marriane ...got it...Martin..I will check the commands you provided...

Nicolai and Marriane..Thank you for the links...

If we run manual backup , then it will be a just backup or it will run according to SLP hence duplication also will run ,,?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you run bcackup and the STU configured for that policy is SLP, then SLP will run.

bpimagelist seems to be primary copy, got my SLP to run.

MArtin

siri416
Level 4

oh..then duplication job will run after manual backup got successful, if STU is SLP ..

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, providing the backup is sent to a SLP.

There is no real difference betweenn a manual backup and a schedule backup.  The only difference is how it is started.

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you are happy, please mark the most helpful post as the solution - thx.

M