cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rights question Sharepoint netbackup 6.5.4

Homey
Level 2
I am new and configuring my sharepoint backups. I would like information  to understand why the user account for backups of sharepoint farm need Sysadmin rights on the sql server database on Sql 2005. What actions is the client doing that requires such a high level of access? Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

stu52
Level 5
I believe this is used to properly do the backup of the content databases on the back-end SQL server.  If you don't give the proper permissions, you might not get a backup of those databases.  Try it and watch what happens.

Homey
Level 2

Can anyone who is doing sql backups tell me the least amount of rights they are giving to their backup account in a production environment?

Thanks!

stu52
Level 5
We are doing SQL backups too.  However, if the backups are initiated from the client side, then as long as the dba is running the application on the SQL server AND the dba has local admin rights, then no SQL rights need to be granted to the NetBackup client process.  However, if you want to run scheduled backups from the NBU master server, then you will need to set up a service account that has local admin rights to the SQL server as well as DBA sysadmin rights. 

The latter is what you need for the SharePoint farm-level backups (see:  http://support.veritas.com/docs/335997 )

(just edited for clarification)

Homey
Level 2

If anyone has more information than "the docs say to do it" I would like to hear about it.

I was hoping for someone to give me some beef similiar to:

During the restore process, the account needs to be able to drop the DB in order to ....... or some process that would take such an elevated right.

This is for both standard sql backups and sharepoint farm backups.