Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rule of policies

guilhemlflo
Level 4

Hi,

i work on master NBU 7.7.

There is many many differents policies

i wanted to know if there is some rules to follow when i do some policies.

for exemple,

- do i have to do a specific policy for the master/media server ?

- is it better to have one policy with many client or many policies with less clients ?

thanks you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RB-Infinitely
Level 4

Policy are created per application or data type i.e File Systems (Standard for Unix or Linux and Windows-NT for Microsoft based file systems), Oracle, Exchange Server, SQL Server etc.

Whether you'll have one or many policies really depends on the environment and the level of standardization you'll want for backups. 

Lets say you've got 50 Windows clients and you want to back up all the data on all of them. You can create 1 policy with all the clients in it.

Lets now assume that for some reason, one some of those client you only want to backup the D drive. In this case you'll need 2 policies, 1 for all the "D drive" clients and 1 for the rest.

As you can see, if you start with the 1 policy, as soon as there is a requirement that does not meet the first policy's rules, you'll need to create another policy. These different requirement could be anything from selecting a different option ("use accelerator" for instance vs don't "use accelerator"), having a different schedule configuration, or having a different backup selection.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RB-Infinitely
Level 4

Policy are created per application or data type i.e File Systems (Standard for Unix or Linux and Windows-NT for Microsoft based file systems), Oracle, Exchange Server, SQL Server etc.

Whether you'll have one or many policies really depends on the environment and the level of standardization you'll want for backups. 

Lets say you've got 50 Windows clients and you want to back up all the data on all of them. You can create 1 policy with all the clients in it.

Lets now assume that for some reason, one some of those client you only want to backup the D drive. In this case you'll need 2 policies, 1 for all the "D drive" clients and 1 for the rest.

As you can see, if you start with the 1 policy, as soon as there is a requirement that does not meet the first policy's rules, you'll need to create another policy. These different requirement could be anything from selecting a different option ("use accelerator" for instance vs don't "use accelerator"), having a different schedule configuration, or having a different backup selection.

>>- is it better to have one policy with many client or many policies with less clients ?

-

As your wish.

One policy mean -

1 - one storage (or storage group or storage livecycle policy)

2 - one type (vmware/win/sql/etc)

3 - one schedule

BUT you can choose different files (in windows-type policy) for different servers

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Dmitry_K

".... BUT you can choose different files (in windows-type policy) for different servers"

This is NOT what I have experienced over almost 20 years with NBU.

My experience has been that there is only one Backup Selection list and that this list is used for ALL clients in the policy.

>>My experience has been that there is only one Backup Selection list and that this list is used for ALL clients in the policy.

-

I will check

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Admin Guide I:

The Backup Selections tab contains a list of what to back up on each client, host,
or instance when NetBackup runs an automatic schedule (for example, a full
backup).

@Marianne wrote:

@Dmitry_K

".... BUT you can choose different files (in windows-type policy) for different servers"

This is NOT what I have experienced over almost 20 years with NBU.

My experience has been that there is only one Backup Selection list and that this list is used for ALL clients in the policy.

You are right.

Test configuration:

Server 01 - c:\ nbu_test_folder_01 (d)

Server 02 – c:\ nbu_test_folder_02 (p)

For first server we have in job log this information message:

TRV - object not found for file system backup: C:\nbu_test_folder_02

For the second server –

TRV - object not found for file system backup: C:\nbu_test_folder_01

But we have both folder in backup, despite of there are no nbu_test_folder_01 on the second server, and we do not have any errors status.

hi

thanks you for the answer.

So i go try to have less policy that i can but keep differents policies if i need for any reason.

Thanks you.