cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Full backups from the command line (Master Server and Client)

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi All,

When necessary I run Full/Manuals backups using the gui, however I want to make sure if necessary I can run them from the command line also. 

I have and example of the manual Full backup command below can someone tell me if it is correct?

Besides the policy name which I have do I need to include the host/client name also? If so will this command would work?

usr/openv/netbackup/bin> bpbackup –p tretmcpcp.lnew.stein.xx  -S Full  nbuserverc5

There should more examples of this command somewhere.

Also, This is done from the master server correct? Can I Full/Synthetic backup be performed from the client the same way?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Almost correct .., bpbackup -i -p policy_name -s schedule_name For a full/ synth backup, just change the schedule name. Adding -h hostname will backup a particulat host if there are multiple hosts defined in the policy. Google 'man bpbackup' for other options. Martin

View solution in original post

Stumpr2
Level 6
A user on a client can initiate an immediate backup of a full or incremental schedule using the bpbckup command. This is not explained in the man pages for bpbackup. In fact the man pages state that you must be root on the master server to use the -i option. It states that only "user" backups can be initiated from the client..not true!

Steps for a user to initiate an immediate backup on the master.
1. enter the clientname on the master server bp.conf as SERVER = clientname
2. on master bprdreq -rereadconfig
3. on the client as root or administrator or use sudo (unix)

bpbackup -i -p $policyname -s $schedulename -h clientname -S masterservername

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Almost correct .., bpbackup -i -p policy_name -s schedule_name For a full/ synth backup, just change the schedule name. Adding -h hostname will backup a particulat host if there are multiple hosts defined in the policy. Google 'man bpbackup' for other options. Martin

Stumpr2
Level 6
A user on a client can initiate an immediate backup of a full or incremental schedule using the bpbckup command. This is not explained in the man pages for bpbackup. In fact the man pages state that you must be root on the master server to use the -i option. It states that only "user" backups can be initiated from the client..not true!

Steps for a user to initiate an immediate backup on the master.
1. enter the clientname on the master server bp.conf as SERVER = clientname
2. on master bprdreq -rereadconfig
3. on the client as root or administrator or use sudo (unix)

bpbackup -i -p $policyname -s $schedulename -h clientname -S masterservername

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks Martin and Stumpr2  for your reponses  the information helps alot!