cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Netbackup clients on two different masters

rcos152
Level 3

Hello, 

My company wants to move netbackup off of a network and keeping the same name and IP is not an option.  What I want to do is actually run clients on 2 separate masters, the old master will be connected in case of restores and until the existing backups age out.  The new master will run the newly configured backup policies.  Is this possible and if so, can I do it if the masters are using different license keys?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

yes.. you can do it... 

make sure your client bp.conf is updated with both master media server entires...

and having the backup with 2 master servers is not a best practice.. in your case as your trying to use old master server only for the restore untill the backup image expirations  .. 

so go ahead and use it...

--

besides.. we do have alternate options 

like import, recovery import where you does use the new master server for old image restores...

try to consider those options too...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla

yes.. you can do it... 

make sure your client bp.conf is updated with both master media server entires...

and having the backup with 2 master servers is not a best practice.. in your case as your trying to use old master server only for the restore untill the backup image expirations  .. 

so go ahead and use it...

--

besides.. we do have alternate options 

like import, recovery import where you does use the new master server for old image restores...

try to consider those options too...

rcos152
Level 3

My ultimate goal is to do the import, recovery import but I needed something short term just to everything moved by the end of the year.  Once I know the backups are running off the new masters, I plan on getting the old restores moved but I want to do one step at a time.

RamNagalla

yes.. you can go ahead and use 2 master server for short term... 

good luck..

rcos152
Level 3

Thanks, Appreciate it.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just my 2c:

Have new master as 1st SERVER entry on all clients.

When you need to restore from old master, change 1st SERVER entry to old master.

Remember to change entries again after the restore.