cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA Full Backups Show 0 Kilobytes Written and 0 Files Written

David_Bowlby
Level 4

The SAP Administrators states these backups run successfully, but i do not see how much data is being written.  This isnt necessarily an issue, but could be if i can not judge the amount of data being backed up.

Activity Monitor on states connecting

Activity Monitor.png

Detailed Status:

4/9/2014 10:28:37 AM - Info nbjm(pid=12356) starting backup job (jobid=1905249) for client psaphanahrd01.loves.com, policy SAP_HANA_HRX, schedule FULL 
4/9/2014 10:28:37 AM - Info nbjm(pid=12356) requesting MEDIA_SERVER_WITH_ATTRIBUTES resources from RB for backup job (jobid=1905249, request id:{2A0D59B3-5C61-452E-86B1-237ECC49520D}) 
4/9/2014 10:28:37 AM - requesting resource PTCDD01
4/9/2014 10:28:37 AM - requesting resource okcnbkp02.loves.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.psaphanahrd01.loves.com
4/9/2014 10:28:37 AM - requesting resource okcnbkp02.loves.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.SAP_HANA_HRX
4/9/2014 10:28:37 AM - granted resource okcnbkp02.loves.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.psaphanahrd01.loves.com
4/9/2014 10:28:37 AM - granted resource okcnbkp02.loves.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.SAP_HANA_HRX
4/9/2014 10:28:37 AM - granted resource PTCDD01
4/9/2014 10:28:38 AM - estimated 0 Kbytes needed
4/9/2014 10:28:38 AM - Info nbjm(pid=12356) started backup (backupid=psaphanahrd01.loves.com_1397057317) job for client psaphanahrd01.loves.com, policy SAP_HANA_HRX, schedule FULL on storage unit PTCDD01
4/9/2014 10:28:40 AM - started process bpbrm (6244)
4/9/2014 10:28:41 AM - Info bpbrm(pid=6244) psaphanahrd01.loves.com is the host to backup data from    
4/9/2014 10:28:41 AM - Info bpbrm(pid=6244) reading file list from client       
4/9/2014 10:28:41 AM - connecting
4/9/2014 10:28:43 AM - Info bpbrm(pid=6244) starting bphdb on client        
4/9/2014 10:28:43 AM - Info bphdb(pid=65213) Backup started          
4/9/2014 10:28:43 AM - Info bphdb(pid=65213) Processing /sapmnt/HRX/netbackup/sap_hanadb_backup          
4/9/2014 10:28:43 AM - Info bphdb(pid=65213) Waiting for the child status       
4/9/2014 10:28:43 AM - connected; connect time: 00:00:02
4/9/2014 10:32:00 AM - Info bphdb(pid=65213) Script exited with status = 0 <the requested operation was successfully completed>
4/9/2014 10:32:00 AM - Info bpbrm(pid=6244) validating image for client psaphanahrd01.loves.com       
4/9/2014 10:32:02 AM - Info bphdb(pid=65213) done. status: 0: the requested operation was successfully completed   
4/9/2014 10:32:02 AM - end writing
the requested operation was successfully completed(0)

Detailed Status showing Job Completed Successfully, with 0 Kilobytes Written, and 0 File Written.  SAP Admin states a full backup was completed.  Admin did not state how large the Backup was.

Detailed Status_0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Bowlby
Level 4

According to Symantec Tech Support SAP Hana is pretty new, and Netbackup does not have a way to create a child job so we can view the amount of data backed up during the backup job.  This is in the works.  Advised me to use the bplist command to view the amount of data backed up.  

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So just to make sure, while the detailed status says "status 0", the job still says connecting?

If your SAP admin says that the backup worked, then he must be seeing the snap finished on his side. NetBackup could be waiting for the snap to write to disk, so status is connecting. I assume the child job ended?

If the job is truly finshed, I would now want to know what is available to restore. What images do you have and do they have any size to them?

David_Bowlby
Level 4

@SymTerry - During the Full backup using the 'Sap_hanadb_backup" script, the activity stays connecting during the backup.  It never changes to writing during the process.  It does change to completed when finished.  I was only showing this, because im curious if this is normal.

- The SAP Admin stated he "Sees" the backup Start and Finish.  He is using the SAP Hana Studio to view this, which i have not been granted access to .

When i look at the BAR for this host, using the SAP policy type, i see that data has been backed up, but no information is shown about the backup.  I recieve this error

Error.png

Here is what i see as netbackup history, which looks very similar to sql backups.  I do know they have done multiple log file restores, and a database restore previously.

Restore.png

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just to make sure, when you launched the BAR GUI did you right click and run as administrator? This has been known to cause that error message.

Also, That is a lot of red dots. Are those all failed backups amung the one successful backup?

What is the version of NetBackup you have? I would also like to see the  <install_path>\NetBackup\logs\backint log if you have it.

David_Bowlby
Level 4

Yes, i try to open the admin console and bar gui as administrator at all times.   Those red dots are SAP HANA Log files (i guess), that are backed up using a user directed backup method using the initsap.utl, and scheduling through SAP Hana Studio.  I dont have any control over them, they run every 30 seconds or more.

Netbackup Version:  7.5.0.6 - hana appliances are running 7.5.0.6

Server OS: All media servers and Master is 2008 r2

* is it possible that because my daily full backups are calling on a script to backup the database, that the reason i dont see any data written, is because netbackup calls on the script, which runs successfully?  i had an issue where the sap admin put an inccorect directory in the backup path of the script and though this was incorrect, netbackup showed the job as successful.  So just thinking if the script runs successfully that all i see is a successful run of the script? *

Are the Backint logs located on the master or on the appliance itself?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The job starting the script is a control job and will never transfer any data.

Unfortunately I can't see details form the screen dump due to the resolution. But you should see additional jobs from the SAP Hana being run. Can you confirm this ?

Backint logs are located on the client. Ensure the backint directory has 777 permission so SAP can write debug logs into the directory.

David_Bowlby
Level 4

When the Full Backup runs no additional jobs are seen.

Activity Monitor 2.png

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

And the SAP-LOGS I can see it just archive logs and not the database backup ?

Do you have a exclude_file on the SAP Hana client ?

Try to remove it and re-run the backup - fiel system backup must be disabled meanwhile. Could be that the SAP backup read the exclude list when it should not !

jim_dalton
Level 6

Might be handy to give us a bigger picture eg policy , scripts etc. Me I've run lots of SAP backups but via hot online agent based so might be very different from SAP HANA. Suffice to say, 0 bytes doesnt look too good but as stated theres parent jobs and theres child and the children carry the data load. Maybe I can see the same policy in the image showing there is transferred data?

Got a dev environment? Do a full backup then go for a full restore...

Jim

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Right, as Jim said, Parent and Child jobs. You should see them in the activity monitor. What are the resulting status of these jobs and what does the detailed status say for them?

David_Bowlby
Level 4

the status for the fulls are successful with a status code 0.   i posted the detailed status of one in a earlier post above.  if you double click the image it will open in a new window.

Update - the SAP admins were needing to restore one of the Hana appliances earlier tonight, and used a full backup of the database from the first of April, then one from the 2 of April.  Both were successful. Looking at the client backup report these two backups show 0 data backed up, and 0 files backed up, but the restore was successful through Hana studio.  I'm still awaiting a screenshot from Hana studio showing how much data is being backed up using the hanadb script.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Parent job won't show any details. It is simply 'taking care of' the child jobs. You should only look at the child jobs which is performing actual backup. 
We can see figures next to the SAP child jobs which tells us the size of each stream.
The FULL next to the parent job corresponds with the Automatic schedule in the policy that is merely starting the script on the client.
The agent on the client is then sending actual data in the child streams against the Application Backup schedule type.

The red 'stars' in Backup History are the successful database backups for each successful child stream. 
Restore cannot be done from here - dba's need to use SAP commands/tools to start restore from the SAP server.

The green 'tick' in between looks like a normal filesystem backup.

Your post above tells us that all is good.

David_Bowlby
Level 4

@marianne - Do you know of a change either in the script or some other way, that i can view the child job of the full database backups?  Im only interested in the size of the job.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Every job shows up in the activity monitor. There is no setting on the client side that will make job invisible in the activity monitor.

Could it be the SAP backup uses the schedules for SAP-LOGS ? 

Can you post the output from brtools from the SAP side. This will help us identify what schedules are in use. Attach output as a file to a post.

David_Bowlby
Level 4

I will see if i can get the sap admins to get me those logs pertaining to full backups on the sap side.   The security team has agreed to grant me backup operator access to sap hana.  it make take some time, but i will update as i view more of when the db fulls are in process. 

David_Bowlby
Level 4

According to Symantec Tech Support SAP Hana is pretty new, and Netbackup does not have a way to create a child job so we can view the amount of data backed up during the backup job.  This is in the works.  Advised me to use the bplist command to view the amount of data backed up.