cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP (Storage Lifecycle Policy) Log concerns

Tami
Level 2
I have been using SLP for some time.  When I run the nbstlutil -list utility it takes forever for the list to generate.  Is there a quick and easy way to clean this up? I noticed that most of the backups are from 2008.

I am not a huge command line person so don't use this util unless I have to... I assume there are other maintenance things I should be doing... Please advise if you have any ideas.
3 REPLIES 3

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I assume that you probably have images who's retention is longer than 2 years.  Are you using the -U flag?

Depending on how long it takes, I would execute the command and direct it to a file, then while it runs take care of other things you have going on, then parse through the file.

You say you are not a huge command line person, so just in case (and I"m assuming you're working in a UNIX environment, you didnt specify) you can execute

nbstlutil -list -U > nbstlutil.output

Then just "more nbstlutil.output" so you can look through your file for what you need.

If you are needing something else, then maybe someone who is more familiar with SLP's can chime in.  That is just my 2 cents from what little familiarty I have with SLP's.  We're going to implement then at some point in time.

Tami
Level 2
I am not looking for anything.  I am just assuming that all the jobs are from old policies that are no longer being used.  If I run the stlislist -u option I only get 2 active backups that are recent. 

Netbackup 7.0 on a Windows 2003 master server

I am hoping cleaning up the file that things will work smoother.  It takes over 5 mins for the full list to generate.

David_McMullin
Level 6
Here are some of the SLP aliases I use:

What is my current LIFECYCLE PARAMETERS?
catlp='cat /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS'

Set LONG wait before duplications: (200 mins before force small jobs and 80 min interval)
slplong='cp -p /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS.LONG /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS'

Set SHORT wait before duplications:( 15 mins before force small jobs 10 minute interval)
slpshort='cp -p /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS.SHORT /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS'

CHECK for incomplete SLP jobs:
slpck='date;bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 72 -stl_incomplete | sort +3r +4r +5rn;bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 72 -stl_incomplete|wc'

SCAN and start jobs - use after switching from long to short LIFECYCLES:
slpscan='/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbstlutil new_session'

ACTIVATE all incomplete SLP jobs:
slpgo=/scripts/slpjob.activate.ksh

cat /scripts/slpjob.activate.ksh
#!/usr/bin/ksh
#
echo "Issuing command: '/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbstlutil active  -wait -backupid $i' "
echo "For each backupid in '/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 120 -stl_incomplete | sort +3 +4 +5n | /usr/bin/cut -f10'"
for i in `/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 120 -stl_incomplete | sort +3 +4 +5n | /usr/bin/cut -d" " -f10`
do
 DATE=`date +%Y%m%d.%H%M`
 echo "Now activating "$i "at "$DATE
 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbstlutil active  -wait -backupid $i
 echo "------------------------------------------------"
done
date
bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 120 -stl_incomplete | sort +3r +4r +5rn
bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 120 -stl_incomplete|wc

Monday, I use this to check for any OLD JOBS:
oldslp='bpimagelist -L -idonly -hoursago 240 -stl_incomplete | sort +3r +4r +5rn'