Did you mean: 

SQL DB Restore Doesnt Start in Netbackup

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

Before starting let me tell you what i have:

1. Master server with 6.5.4 with Windows 2003
2. Client server with windows 2003 and SQL 2000
3. backup scripts created on the client server and backup are working fine. (number of DB's backed up 5)

Problem in restoration:

When i start the restoration of a DB from the client server called DB01 it doesnt even start (trigger) the restore. I restarted the services from both Master and Client server but still the same.

But when i tired to test another DB say DB02 (on the same server) it start (triggers). this is very unusual and i never faced this problem before. On the same server DB02 triggers but DB01 doesnt even start or trigger at all.

Did any body face this unusual problem?atleast even if it triggers (DB01 restore) i can atleast know the problem or error to troubleshoot but here i have nothing n clue less of what to do or can be done?

Is it possible for me to start or trigger a restore from the Master server?

Any Ideas, comments or suggesstion?

Thank you in advance.

Abby
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

problem Solved!!!!

What I did was stopped the website uising the DB and made the DB offline.

While restoring selected the DB from the client server and selected REcoverd option under RECOVERY and started the restore. the restore was done.

NOTE: this may not be the solution for all one thing i feel is: there shouldnt be any1 using the DB i.e the website. Make sure the DB is not used or opened by anyone.

once the DB is fine and not used by any1 u can even keep the DB online and use the NOT RECOVERED option under RECOVERY and start restore.

ABBy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi

Are you doing re-directed restore or alternate client restore.

On your master server, create this directory:

c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\db\altnames

and create a empty file 'No.Restrictions'

This is an empty touch file, with no extension

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi

I m not doing the restore to alternate server. I am trying to restore on the same server.

Even if i try to start a restore on the alternate server it still doesnt start.

Abby

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Abby,

1. How are you browsing for backup images of the sql db ? Through the NBU MS SQL gui or through the BAR gui ?
2. Are you able to list the backups in the nbu for sql gui ?

You should see the request for restore going to the master server in its bprd log (On the master server)

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi rajeev,

1. How are you browsing for backup images of the sql db ? Through the NBU MS SQL gui or through the BAR gui ?

I am trying to restore it from the client machine i.e Netbackup MSSQL Client option. I am able to see the DB's and the dates too.

2. Are you able to list the backups in the nbu for sql gui ?

Yes from the cleint i m able to list the DB's with the dates i chose from i.e default is 1 month.

You should see the request for restore going to the master server in its bprd log (On the master server)

Since the restore deosnt even start will it show in the log files on the Master Server?

Abby

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

problem Solved!!!!

What I did was stopped the website uising the DB and made the DB offline.

While restoring selected the DB from the client server and selected REcoverd option under RECOVERY and started the restore. the restore was done.

NOTE: this may not be the solution for all one thing i feel is: there shouldnt be any1 using the DB i.e the website. Make sure the DB is not used or opened by anyone.

once the DB is fine and not used by any1 u can even keep the DB online and use the NOT RECOVERED option under RECOVERY and start restore.

ABBy