cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL

rociocarvallo1
Level 3
How does NetBackup actually do the SQL Server backups? Is it open-file, or does netbackup issue a "Backup Database..." command to the SQL Server engine?

Q2: If I have a perfectly good maintenance plan in place (daily full, hourly T-log), will there be any issues if a Netbackup backup runs in the middle of it, such as LSNs out of order?

Scenario:

1AM - SQL Server Full Database backup
2AM - SQL Server T-Log backup
2:30AM - Veritas Netbackup Full db backup
3AM - SQL Server T-Log backup
3:15 - Janitor logs on and deletes database and t-log.

In this scenario, what is my recover point? 2AM, or 3AM?

4 REPLIES 4

vincentwegg78
Level 2
Veritas NetBackup issues a "BACKUP DATABASE" command to the SQL Server engine and not copy the database files. You can easily verify this by checking the jobs running in SQL Server when the back-up initiates. You will see there the command issued by Veritas.

rociocarvallo1
Level 3
anything?

Sriram
Level 6
The normal concept of DB backups (not only SQL, but notes, Oracle, exchange etc) is whenever you take a FULL DB backup with T-log its always that you will be able to recover from the latest FULL and T-log backups.

Giroevolver
Level 6
Netbackups uses the Virtual Device Interface in SQL to connect and run the backup along with various netbackup processes.

Just out of interest why do you want to run SQL backups from the SQL server and the Netbackupserver ?

Why not have Netbackup do all the work thats what you brought it for isn't it?

I also dont think its a good idea to mix sql based backups with the backups that netbackup is running because if the clash one will fail and it could cause and administrative nightmare!