cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO and serial numbers

verbose5
Level 4
I've found that I have to change the serial number in Netbackup whenever we have a tape drive replaced or SSO has problems with it. The only way I know how to do this is delete the drive configuration entirely and re-create it and then restart the Media Manager daemons. Is there a better way to do this? Possibly a command line option to modify serial numbers.
6 REPLIES 6

Brandon_Steili
Level 4
I'm not sure if it will do exactly what you want ... but check out the help for the bpminlicense command

Stumpr2
Level 6
The tape drive serial number or the firmware version is not correct in the global database.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259899.htm

You do not need to delete and re-add the drive to update the serial number or firmware version in the global database when a drive is replaced. All you have to do is update the drive device with the update parameters.

The drive information (serial number, firmware version, etc.) is kept in the /usr/openv/volmgr/database/ltidevs file on each media server. When you update a drive including the drive device (even if you do not change anything), it re-reads the hardware and updates the /usr/openv/volmgr/database/ltidevs file. That also updates the global database (/usr/openv/volmgr/database/globDB) on the master.

Go to each media server to which the drive is attached and do the following:

cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin
./tpconfig

Select Drive Configuration | Update.
Enter the name of the changed drive.
Press Enter to keep all the existing values until it asks if you are sure you want to update. Enter 'y' to update.

Stop and restart media manager after you have updated all the drives that you desire to change:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/stopltid
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/ltid -v
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -sync

Verify that the drive serial number or firmware version has been updated in the global database:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmglob -listall -java | grep {hostname}

You can also do the drive update for each media server from the master with the following commands. Run these commands for each media server to be updated.

cd /usr/openv/volmgr
./vmoprcmd -h {hostname} -stopltid
./vmoprcmd -h {hostname} -devconfig "-update -drive {index_number} -path {drive_device}"
./vmoprcmd -h {hostname} -startltid
./vmoprcmd -h (hostname) -autoconfig -sync

If you are unable to synchronize the global database, you can clear and rebuild the global database with the following commands on the master server. Run the 'sync' command for each media server.

cd /usr/openv/volmgr/database
cp globDB globDB.{date}
./vmglob -delete
./vmoprcmd -h {hostname} -autoconfig -sync
./vmglob -listall -java

Tommy_Wu
Level 3
Mike,
That is a good question. I have been asking myself this question for years. I found a good solution for this issue.
After replaced the bad tape drive, From the NBU master server, excute this command to scan for serial number changes.
%Install Path%/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -report_disc.

Use this command to replace the serial numbers without delete the tape drive configure.

%Install Path%/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -replace_drive "drive_name" -path "drive_path"

%drive_path% = tape device number or file

Restart the NBU device manager services which include all the SSO media servers.

verbose5
Level 4
I had another drive replaced today, so I tried your directions. However, it seems my version (NB DC 4.5 mp5) doesn't include those options with tpautoconf:

# tpautoconf -ehlp
Usage:
tpautoconf -get_gdbhost
tpautoconf -set_gdbhost host_name

That's all it has.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike,
Just to confirm your thoughts. Was reading and saw this in v5.1 Media Managers SysAdmin Guide PDF for Windows. Page 335 details:

The tpautoconf options used in this procedure are available only with NetBackup release 5.0 or later. Media servers that are also robot control hosts, must be running NetBackup release 5.0 or later to use this procedure.

Using # tpautoconf -report_disc
What happens if you update the firmware in your drives.
Obviously the serial number stays the same.
Same results?

Mariappan_Muthi
Not applicable
Tommy Wu told the right solution.

tpautoconf -report_disc
tpautoconf -replace_drive IBMULT3580-TD22 -path Tape2

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/271280.htm

Thanks guys..