Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Monitor service is always DOWN on master server

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear Expert,

Its a new environment. NBU 7.1.0.2 on Windows 2008 R2 clustered master server using SF 5.1 SP2. In topology view I always service DOWN alert on EMM server. The nodes are fine. When I check following services show offline -

1. Authentication 2. authorization 3. device manager 4. service manager 4. SAN FT client 5. dedupe manager 6. dedupe engine

Please advice. I dont want to see the red alerts. Is it something to worry about?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The cluster will manage and monitor NBU services, therefore the Service Monitor needs to be down.

See  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34348 :

NetBackup Service Monitor (nbsvcmon.exe) :

Monitors the NetBackup services that run on the local computer. If a service unexpectedly terminates, the service tries to restart the terminated service. If nbsvcmon determines that NetBackup is configured for a cluster, the service shuts down, and the monitoring is taken over by the cluster.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

The cluster will manage and monitor NBU services, therefore the Service Monitor needs to be down.

See  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34348 :

NetBackup Service Monitor (nbsvcmon.exe) :

Monitors the NetBackup services that run on the local computer. If a service unexpectedly terminates, the service tries to restart the terminated service. If nbsvcmon determines that NetBackup is configured for a cluster, the service shuts down, and the monitoring is taken over by the cluster.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Dear Marianne,

The Activity monitor shows this service Down icon which is not good. How can we correct this.

Marianne
Level 6

Sorry - no idea!!!

I never use the Topology view and most of my cluster experience is on clustered Unix master servers.

Maybe other forum members using clustered Windows master will be able to tell us... or else log a support call with Symantec.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Sounds good... Thank you