cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Vsphere 5.1 with NB 7.5.0.4

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Hi all,

I have some pretty basic questions about getting NB 7.5.0.4 set up with Vsphere 5.1. I have the admin manual for Vmware, I have been reading, but just so we are clear where I am starting off at, I know next to nothing about VSphere.

I have an existing Master running 7.5.0.4 on Windows Server 2008 R2. I have 11 media servers in this environment backing up samba servers and am currently running dedupe on each. This environment is configured using host file entries to see each other.  Each media server is running the same OS listed above. My employer wants to start backing up vsphere 5.1. 

I know vsphere is installed on a server and houses a mixture of guest OS's. I believe my two options are:

1. install the NB client software on the guest OS's themselves

2. Configure vsphere to back up EACH guest OS that is has. 

Number 1 sounds easy and basic enough. However, say I want to go with option 2. I can't install the NB software on vsphere, right? So how do I get vsphere to see my NB environment? Set up the IP in my Master's host file and create a policy? How would vsphere then see my Master? A media server? 

I work for a college, and there are 13 campus locations. 11 of them have media servers that back up their local samba servers.

I apologize in advance how basic this sounds to most of you. Gotta start somewhere, and I've had nothing but great experience and knowledge thrown my way from these forums. Any tidbits / advice is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Correct,

With NetBackup you use a backup host (a media server or a client) to access vcenter or ESX server to backup vm's. 

First you will need a NetBackup Vmware License to enable that feature. Please speak with your NetBackup vendor for that. 

Once you have the license installed, set up authentication to VMWare and set up a VMWare policy. Chapter 4 of the VMware 7.5 Administrator's Guide (DOC5162) talks about the set up of a backup host and chapter 5, the talks about setting up the policies.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Correct,

With NetBackup you use a backup host (a media server or a client) to access vcenter or ESX server to backup vm's. 

First you will need a NetBackup Vmware License to enable that feature. Please speak with your NetBackup vendor for that. 

Once you have the license installed, set up authentication to VMWare and set up a VMWare policy. Chapter 4 of the VMware 7.5 Administrator's Guide (DOC5162) talks about the set up of a backup host and chapter 5, the talks about setting up the policies.