cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint Restore

jklems99
Level 3

I need to restore a MS-Sharepoint from one sharepoint server to another. I have tried the redirect options and I cannot get the sharepoint to restore to the other server. Is there something I am missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For Redirected Restores Abstract from 7.0 Admin Guide:

"Redirecting a restore
SharePoint Web applications, portal sites, team sites, and backward-compatible document libraries can be redirected to a different location from which they were backed up. Web applications or portal sites can be redirected to a Web application or portal site on another Web server in an existing farm. Team sites can be redirected to another Windows SharePoint Services site on the Web server. Individual documents or items can be redirected to a file system.
"

Limitations on backups and restores
The following limitations exist when you perform backups and restores of the
SharePoint Server:
■ Redirected restores are only supported for Web applications or portals and
for backward-compatible libraries. The following cannot be redirected to a
different location:
■ Documents and folders can be redirected to a file system.
■ A team site cannot be redirected to a site in another farm (but you can
redirect to another site within the original farm)
■ Farm Configuration database and Single Sign-on database
■ Index Files or Index database
■ SharePoint policies do not support multiple data streams.

Refer Chapter : Performing backups and restores of SharePoint Server and Windows SharePoint Services  Pg 59, 75 (Redirected Restore of Team Site and Web application)

Chapter 6 : Disaster Recovery: pg 81

Hope this would meet your requirement.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jklems99
Level 3

Version 7.0

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

will you pls elaborate more. seein at your query i presume you need to perform Disaster recovery

For Disaster Recovery you need to first shutdown existing site. As during restore it would cause conflict with existing sites.

. Till NetBackup 7.1 you can restore website within Farm only. for cross Farm website restore you need to have NetBackup at 7.1 release.

Manjunath_Rajan
Level 4
Certified

Are you looking to restore sharepoint farm from one server to another.If that is the case please refer to the below document page no.109

www.symantec.com/.../NetBackup7.5_AdminGuide_SharePoint.pdf

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with speedfreak - we need more information.

Available restore options with NBU 7.1 is listed on p. 20 of NBU for Microsoft SharePoint Server Admin Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3675 under the topic:
Limitations on SharePoint Server backups and restores

jklems99
Level 3

My endusers cannot access a database through Sharepoint. The thought by the tech team is that the database or the sharepoint has become corrupted. We were trying to restore to another server to see if can replicate the error.

jklems99
Level 3

Since we have version 7.0 netbackup we could not restore accross the farm. We are now trying to restore the sharepoint to the same server but a different location c:\cc-sharepoint. The restore is not restoring the sharepoint to the new location. Does the cuurent sharpoint on the server need to be deleted before I can restore the sharepoint to the new location?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For Redirected Restores Abstract from 7.0 Admin Guide:

"Redirecting a restore
SharePoint Web applications, portal sites, team sites, and backward-compatible document libraries can be redirected to a different location from which they were backed up. Web applications or portal sites can be redirected to a Web application or portal site on another Web server in an existing farm. Team sites can be redirected to another Windows SharePoint Services site on the Web server. Individual documents or items can be redirected to a file system.
"

Limitations on backups and restores
The following limitations exist when you perform backups and restores of the
SharePoint Server:
■ Redirected restores are only supported for Web applications or portals and
for backward-compatible libraries. The following cannot be redirected to a
different location:
■ Documents and folders can be redirected to a file system.
■ A team site cannot be redirected to a site in another farm (but you can
redirect to another site within the original farm)
■ Farm Configuration database and Single Sign-on database
■ Index Files or Index database
■ SharePoint policies do not support multiple data streams.

Refer Chapter : Performing backups and restores of SharePoint Server and Windows SharePoint Services  Pg 59, 75 (Redirected Restore of Team Site and Web application)

Chapter 6 : Disaster Recovery: pg 81

Hope this would meet your requirement.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

is issue resolved.. any of above post had helped ???