cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I leave Removable Storage Manager running - Using Netbackup 6.5

Thomas_Olsen
Level 4

Hi All

I have a NetBackup 6.5 Master Server running on a Windows Server 2003 SP1.

I was just wondering if there are any recommendations regarding RSM on that server?

At the moment it is running, but on another Master Server I have, it is actually disabled.

I am seeing some backup instability on the server where RSM is still running, but this might be related to the HW as well.

I have tried to stop and disable the RSM service, but after a server restart or if I leave it for a few days, the RSM service is running again and it set to Automatic.

If RSM should be stopped and disabled on this Master Server, how can I make sure it is disabled for good?

Thanks for your help.

/Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bakitup
Level 4
As far as I know Symantec has not changed their recommendation to have RSM disabled.  That has been the recommendation for prior versions and I would think it is the same for 6.5.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

bakitup
Level 4
As far as I know Symantec has not changed their recommendation to have RSM disabled.  That has been the recommendation for prior versions and I would think it is the same for 6.5.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

If you are not using it disable it that is Windows Security Best Practice.

regards

Thomas_Olsen
Level 4

Thanks alot for the feedback.

I have managed to disable the service now, but it caused quite a lot of frustration as the service automatically started after a while, even if I disabled it.

So I ended up with modifying the registry entry for the service in the "Path to executable" so it wouldn't start.

I made the path look like: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs_"

/Thomas