cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow catalog backups

Josh_Goodin
Level 4
Our hot catalog backup used to take around 90 minutes.  I compressed the catalog a few months ago and now it takes 4 and 1/2 hours to back it up.  Is this normal?
8 REPLIES 8

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
see doc 245926 from the support web site

you should not use NFTS compression on the catalog.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5
Are you running on Solaris or Windows?

Josh_Goodin
Level 4
We are running on Windows.  I did not use NTFS compression, I used the compressions option within NetBackup.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
I one of your media server was decom or is not available you will get a very low catalog performance, review if you have any old ore recently removed media server from the list of your catalog folders.

Hope this helps.
Regards

Josh_Goodin
Level 4
We do not have any media servers.  We just have a single master server. 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
If you enable "catalog compression" on a Windows master server, then it definitely uses "NTFS" file compression behind the scenes.  Just drill into the /db/images folder and you'll see files coloured blue (if you have the required Windows explorer feature turned on).

We have a 160GB catalog, with compression of anything over 7 days old, and the whole catalog consumes 100GB on disk, and takes 3:30 to 3:45 to backup.

We found that we needed to defrag the volume hosting the catalog database to be able to maintain our catalog backup speeds.  At it's worst, after not defragging for over a year, the catalog backup was taking over 6:00 hours.  Also, using "catalog compression" definitely slows the catalog backups down too.

N.B. Be very careful when adjusting the number of "days" in the "catalog compression" window.  A jump too far either way will cause many days of data to be either compressed or un-compressed - you risk thrashing and possibly delaying or even corrupting your catalog if you change the "days" value by too large an increment.  If you have never used this feature before, I really recommend that you read the required sections of the Sys Admin Guides.

Stumpr2
Level 6
David,
Another good post. You've been pretty active for awhile now. Thank you for your time invested in this forum.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Thx Bob.  Plenty of you gurus have been setting the standard for many years, so really it's people like you, Dennis, two two Davids (and I'm sure many others) that deserve the real thanks.  Many times posts by you all have saved many hours of time for many people.

To paraphrase... Never, in the world of NetBackup, has so much been owed by so many to so few...

Meanwhile, I'll keep trying...