cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staging or duplication backup data to disk or tape

dpx_99
Level 4
Hi experts,
I have configured a virtual media server and attached a SAN disk. Backup is running and performance is good but I want to duplicate backup data to tape on other physical media servers. Is there any way if I can stag or duplicate backup data to physical servers disk and tape.

Please share your thoughts.
Thanks
Dpx
8 REPLIES 8

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

If you are configured basic disk then you can go for Disk Staging Schedule and set the high water mark to duplicate the images to tape or you can manually do the duplication.

If you want more control on duplication like, each image need to duplicate with specific retention then go for SLP but for that backups disk should be Advance disk/Puredisk/Tape.  The SLP do not support Basic Disk.

It doesn't matter about media server (virtual or physical). Only both media server should communicate each other.

Thanks & Regards,

Many thanks for the thought.
Is it possible to do SLP through SAN ? Due to security reasons , I can't duplicate through network. I forget to mention this earlier.

Hello,

There some configuration requirment which duplicate the data over the SAN. But you will see the transport mode LAN.

Please refer the below link for more info.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Duplication-on-FT/m-p/545791#M131161

Thanks & Regards

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

Duplicating from virtual media to tape connected to other physical server imho is no go... Too much network traffic. In this case if I were you I would just setup physical media server with SAN disk storage as well tape drives, so the whole duplication will be made locally. Of course disk and tapes should be separated on different FC HBAs for sure, to separate this traffic.

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

please have a look at http://www.veritas.com/docs/000006177

There are a lot of limitations for virtual media servers.

What kind of virtualisation are you using ? Is media server Windows 2008R2 based ?

If so I thing you cant (in supportet manner) connect a FC ore SCSI Library to your media server.

Best way will be to have a SLP with:

1. Backup

2. opt. duplication to a physicale Media Server

3. duplicate to tape locally on physical Mediaserver

FT will not be available in this case.

ciao

tunix2k

@Tousif,
Many thanks.
My goal is here to duplicate backup data from (OST pure disk) virtual media server to physical media server (pure disk) through FT (SAN). I,m looking for SAN based SLP configuration (if it is possible,)

@tunix2k

Virtual media server is Windows 2012. I'm looking for SAN based SLP configuration if it is possible between virtual , physical media servers

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no such thing as SAN-based SLP between MSDP on one media server and storage on another media server - MSDP or tape.

If you want SAN-based duplication between dedupe storage and tape, you need to use the physical media server.

The only way this will be possible with virtual media server is to use an OST appliance with 'direct tape-out' functionality such as Quantum DXi.