cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 59: access to the client was not allowed

sudu_mlk
Level 5
Hello,

I am using veritas netbackup 5.1 on windows 2003 server.

when i checked jobs in the netbackup master server i found one of the linux server is failed with 59 status code that is access to the client was not allowed.

i am new to linux and i accessed the server via putty and i saw netbackup client is installed.

how to check the netbackup services are running on this linux host? and how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!!!
Sudarshan

16 REPLIES 16

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hey
Please checkout the mentioned file, specially the SERVER = entry.
Verify if there is Your Master server name in the very first line, and if You do have any media servers check if in the next lines thay are named, i.e.
SERVER=maserNBU
SERVER=media1
SERVER=media2
CLIENT=YOUR_CLIENT_HOSTNAME

Later on please validate the DNS names resolution. in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin should be a command bpclntcmd - use this command to do so.

CY
Level 6
Certified
Status 59 means "The master or the media server tries to access the client, but the client does not recognize the server as a valid server."

It is more likely that your Linux client's bp.conf file does not have the correct NBU server names listed there.

Check  /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf  on the client

and see the "SERVER = " entries

You should have

SERVER = master_server
SERVER = media_server1
SERVER = media_server2
(etc., depends on how many media servers you have...)

sudu_mlk
Level 5

i have opened the path /usr/openv/netbackup/ and now am seeing the bp.conf.

how to open and edit this bp.conf file, as i told you am new to linux?

--
sudarshan 

quebek
   VIP    Certified
use vi - editor
usefull commands in vi
i - to start inserting text
esc + :wq - to write and quit the file

if You will need more assistance run man vi on the command prompt of linux

to see contents of bp.conf file run
cat bp.conf

these commands assumes that You are already in the /usr/openv/netbackup

sudu_mlk
Level 5
thanks!!

i able to open the this file and edited the master servername and media server name.

after that as you said esc :wq, it is saying E45: 'readonly' option is set (add! to overrride)

and how quit without saving from this files

quebek
   VIP    Certified
to exit without saving any modification just type :q

Maybe You need also to change permission on this file
to do so try
chmod u+w bp.conf
this will give user (owner) of this file permision to write.

also You can run chmod 600 bp.conf - will give write/read permision to the owner
to check current permissions run ls -l bp.conf and check for xwr attributes.

sudu_mlk
Level 5
i have successfully edited this files and now how restart the netbackup services on this linux host to get changes.

thanks!!!
Sudarshan

sudu_mlk
Level 5
I have successfully edited the bp.conf file

and now restart the netbackup services and which are the netbackup client services need to be restart.

Please help me out this.

Thanks!!!
Sudarshan.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hi
this service shoudl be called by xinet.d deamon, I thnik there is no need to restart it since it is called every time when master server is connecting to that client to bpcd port.
try this /etc/rc.d/init.d/nbclient restart -if I am wrong

Stumpr2
Level 6
STATUS CODE: 58, 25 connection errors occur when trying to backup a Linux client or view the client properties
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287346

Details:
Overview:
The NetBackup services are registered with xinetd on Linux clients. If the xinetd option only_from = <host_name> is set, it will prevent the system from accepting connections from any system but the host name listed.

This will cause NetBackup to fail with a Status 58 (can't connect to client) when a backup of the system is performed. This can also cause a Status 25 (cannot connect on socket) to appear when trying to configure the host properties for the system.

Troubleshooting:
On the Linux machine causing the error, check the xinetd.conf file to see what options are used for all registered xinetd services. The following example shows that the client will only accept connections from localhost.
# cat /etc/xinetd.conf
#
# Simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/
defaults
{
only_from = localhost
instances = 60
log_type = SYSLOG authpriv
log_on_success = HOST PID
log_on_failure = HOST
cps = 25 30
}
includedir /etc/xinetd.d

Log Files: N/A

Resolution:
It will be necessary to remove any only_from = <host_name> entries from the xinetd.conf file. The NetBackup daemons may need to receive connections from multiple systems during normal operations. This option will prevent connections from other systems and does not exist by default in the xinetd.conf file.

1. Edit the /etc/xinetd.conf file and comment out or remove the only_from = <host_name> line(s). Save changes.
2. Then, restart the xinetd daemon for the changes to take effect.
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
3. Retry the connection to the Linux client.

sudu_mlk
Level 5
Hi Stumpr,

Thanks for your information,

I have verified only_from=localhost in xinetd.d file, i didn't find this line.

tell me which are the netbackup client services running on linux host and in which location these services are existed.

if this wouldn't resolve i need to uninstall this netbackup client and re-install.

Please also give me some information on installing linux client from network path.

Thanks!!!

Sudarshan.

sudu_mlk
Level 5

as i got some information that to checking the connection between client and master server by the command bpclntcmd -pn  under /usr/openv/netbackup/bin

the output is showing -bash: bpclntcmd: command not found

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hi
Please check out this thread https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/install-linux-client-step-step
how to install NBU client step by step.
For NBU version 5.1 probably the CD number will change.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
I thik that this binary should reside somewhere benath the /usr/openv/netbackup
please change the working directory to the /usr/openv/netbackup
and run this command
find ./ -name bpcl*
on my Unix client I have such output -check the bolded one item:
/usr/openv/netbackup>find ./ -name bpcl*
./client/INTEL/FreeBSD4.5/bpclimagelist
./client/INTEL/FreeBSD4.5/bpclntcmd
./client/Linux/IBMzSeriesLinux2.4/bpclimagelist
./client/Linux/IBMzSeriesLinux2.4/bpclntcmd
./client/RS6000/AIX4.3.3/bpclimagelist
./client/RS6000/AIX4.3.3/bpclntcmd
./client/Solaris/Solaris7/bpclimagelist
./client/Solaris/Solaris7/bpclntcmd
./client/Solaris/Solaris9/bpclimagelist
./client/Solaris/Solaris9/bpclntcmd
./client/Solaris/Solaris_x86_7/bpclimagelist
./client/Solaris/Solaris_x86_7/bpclntcmd
./client/Solaris/Solaris_x86_9/bpclimagelist
./client/Solaris/Solaris_x86_9/bpclntcmd
./bin/admincmd/bpclient
./bin/bpclimagelist
./bin/bpclntcmd
./bin/bpclusterutil
./bin/goodies/man/bpclient.1
./bin/goodies/man/bpclntcmd.1
./bin/goodies.5.1/man/bpclient.1

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

to run the program if it's not in your path environment variable, you have to specify the path to the executable file.

so if your working directory is /usr/openv/netbackup/bin you can start it by calling ./bpclntcmd or by /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd - the second way is independent from your working directory.

When you edited the bp.conf to show the correct SERVER entries, the backups should work without restarting anything. If the status 59 persists, have a look at the logfile /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpcd (maybe you have to create this directory first (mkdir)). The name, that cannot be found in the bp.conf will be mentioned there.

sudu_mlk
Level 5
Hi Frek,

Thanks A Lot!!!

Finally the issue is resolved by editing bp.conf file in /usr/openv/netbackup/.

After checking the logs in bpcd directory i found that linux host unable to communicate and contact with master server.

I have editted the bp.conf file and enter the FQDN name of master server and media server, before it was not in FQDN.

Now the backup is running fine on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Sudarshan.