cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Netbackup From Running Any Backups While Still Running

kbrandt
Level 4

I have some restoring I need to do, and these backups I need to restore from are expired.  I am currently working throught the import process, but I am wonder what my options are to make sure no more backups run and overwrite them.  The safest would be lock the tapes on the switch on the tapes itself, but what can I do from software?

If I were to put exclude dates for the next few days for every schedule in netbackup would that do the trick?  Are there any caveats such as "retry" backups might still run.  Currently I am watching it, and have also cancel all active/queued jobs via the GUI.

I am using Netbackup 6.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6
would be to prevent new requests
bprdreq -terminate

You can protect media by suspending (or freezing) it:
bpmedia -suspend -m <mediaID>

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6
would be to prevent new requests
bprdreq -terminate

You can protect media by suspending (or freezing) it:
bpmedia -suspend -m <mediaID>

kbrandt
Level 4

wrobbins:  If I protect the meed by suspending it, can I still restore from it while it is in that state?  Same goes for the bprdreq, will that include restore requests?

pdsimpson
Level 3
You can also suspend the scheduler from starting new backups with the command:

%INSTALL_PATH%\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling

Restart scheduling with 

%INSTALL_PATH%\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\nbpemreq -resume_scheduling

NOTE: This will NOT prevent manual or User backups from running... only those kicked off by the scheduler.

Will_Restore
Level 6
You can restore from suspended media.

You have to restart bprd after your import (to enable restores & backups).

pdsimpson
Level 3
You could also assign the tapes you plan to recover from to a new pool that is not used for backups. I use the RECOVER pool for that purpose only.

Jim_Miller
Level 3
I use the same method as simpsop. Seperate pool just for imports.

Christoph_Linde
Level 5
Employee
The bpmedia -suspend command only works with assigned tapes. Means tapes that are not assigned neither can be suspended nor frozen.

Putting tapes into any other pool, than the original one or the NONE pool, will fail the import.

So the only option is to put the tapes into the NONE pool and then import them.

So in this case, you do not need to stop the normal backups from NetBackup.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I beg to differ, Christoph... Inports work 100% if NOT imported to original pool. Something like Restore, Import, Recover will work just fine (any pool name that will never be used for backups).
Bill, stopping bprd will also prevent imports and restores.
Stopping or suspending the scheduler (nbpem) will prevent backups but will allow restores.
Suspend scheduler: nbpemreq  -suspend_scheduling