cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Server Groups = Mixed Retentions

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
Recently I tried using Server Groups (Media and Device Management --> Devices --> Server Groups) to reduce the amount of time spent loading tapes.  I'm discovering that although tapes are being shared, the media servers are now mixing backup retentions on my tapes (ugh!).  I've verified the option in the master host properties to not allow this type of behavior, but apparently by creating a server groups the option is ignored to a degree among the policies set to use the particular server group.

..and finally the question:

Is there not a way to use server groups and keep the retentions separated?  I don't want my diffs written by media server X to mix with my Fulls written by media server Y.

TIA.

1 REPLY 1

Dion
Level 6
Certified
Hi

Using Server Groups should not change the multiple retentions per media setting - they should still be kept separate whether you use server groups or not.  Creating SGs should only change the ownerships of the media allowing different media servers to share media.

For one of your media that contains both diffs and fulls, could you confirm the retention for one of the diffs and fulls that are sharing the tape.

1. Run the Images on Tape report under Tape Reports for one of the suspect tapes -> make sure that the Retention column is visible.  Do you see the different retentions ? (You can also run the bpimmedia report for this)
2. Go to the Media section in the NB Console and make sure the Retention Period column is visible - what is the retention for this media registered as?

Cheers