cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage unit fragment size modification

ditex-manage-pa
Level 3

Hello,

I want to change the (old) maximum fragment size on disk and tape storage unit (NetBackup 7.0.1). But before to make any changes, I want to be sure not to break something. Both settings are 16G. I want to increase to the max on disk storage (ZFS storage) and probably go for 128G on the tape units (T10000B drives).

In which conditions should I make the changes? Can it be done with the master up and runing or should I stop all NetBackup services? In case, I can make the changes with NetBackup running, when are the changes becoming effective?

Thanks for any advice!

Patrice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just change it, no need to restart anything.

On the tape drives, just increae it to max - fragment size has no meaning on modern drives that use 'fast block positioning'.

The only time it would matter, is if the fast block positiong didn't work, which is fairly unlikely.  Even then, the restore would eork fine, just would be a bit slow to position.

Martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just change it, no need to restart anything.

On the tape drives, just increae it to max - fragment size has no meaning on modern drives that use 'fast block positioning'.

The only time it would matter, is if the fast block positiong didn't work, which is fairly unlikely.  Even then, the restore would eork fine, just would be a bit slow to position.

Martin

ditex-manage-pa
Level 3

Martin,

Thank you for your answer and your advice!

Cheers,

Patrice

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No problem, pleased I could help.

You may wish to check that the dribves you use can do 'fast block positioning' / 'fast locate block' - I am not too familiar with that type, but the vendor will be able to give you the answer.

As mentioned, most modern drives can do, but you probably should really check, just to be sure.

Kindest regards,

Martin